Saturday, November 27, 2010

Daybook for November 27, 2010

Outside my window: still pitch black, but the almost full moon sure gives off a lot of light. I just heard the newspaper being thrown on the driveway. Really frigid temperatures, still. It's hard to feel motivated to go out there and run or walk. Haven't done hardly any this week because of the cold temps. Hope things warm up a little soon.
~

I am thinking: about the fragility of this life. Within the past month, three of my children's schoolmate's parents have unexpectedly died. Eliza's math teacher who is the mother of two boys my oldest are friends with, lost their husband and father when he suddenly went into cardiac arrest while walking into Costco. Last week, Isaac's school friend's young mother who is a flight instructor was killed when her plane went down. Now, Gary's good friend from high school lost both her father and sister in a tragic traffic accident while on their way to Thanksgiving dinner. Her mother, sister, and brother are all in ICU. Gary spent all day at the hospital trying to comfort her.
Needless to say, there's been a lot of tears and sorrow around here. It's all just so hard to believe and with it all happening at once, it's making us all ask why. What are we supposed to learn here. It's making us think hard and talk a lot about death and the gift of life.

~
I am thankful for: My dear friend, Mane, invited us over to her house last night for dinner. She and I have known each other for years and I consider her a sister. She prepared some traditional Portuguese foods for us to enjoy: Bachalau no Forno (Baked Codfish), along with some good Caldo Verde (vegetable soup with kale). Just one bite took me back to my beloved country.


~

From the kitchen: lots of good leftovers. That's one of the things I love about Thanksgiving.

~

I am creating: I've always liked to give homemade gifts for Christmas. I need to get started and come up with some ideas.

~

I am going: to head to the rec center in a few hours for my yoga class. Need to run and get a few things from the store, get a hair trim, make a few phone calls, and looking forward to going out later tonight with Keith. Typical Saturday stuff. Oh, and there's the biggest state rivalry football game going on today.

~

I am hoping: for the Christmas spirit. I'm feeling kind of bah-humbug-y and I don't like it.

~

I am reading: I'm about ready to take back my stack of library books and need to get some new stuff. Just started reading a meaty Temple and Cosmos book Gary loves and he's excited to have someone to talk to about it. Very thought provoking. We've had some good discussion already.

~

One of my favorite things: starting fresh with this new blog. I'm so pleased with it's design and am excited about writing for a (hopefully) larger audience. I think my last blog, Blue House Blessings had two readers. Hoping things change here.


~
I am hearing: the quiet drip, drip, drip from the kitchen sink. Got it turned on and the cupboard doors opened to prevent the pipes from freezing.

~

Around the house: very quiet. All the kids but Gary are over at my parents for a sleepover with some of their cousins.

~

I am wearing: granny flannel nightie, plus these beauties right here. Warmth is the issue here, folks.

~

A few plans for the rest of the week: Wow, we're getting into the holiday season. That means life is going to get busy. The troops are asking when I'm going to "put up Christmas". I guess I better get in gear. Jane has her school orchestra concert this week. We got a phone call from the local art museum telling Eliza that she's one of 70 participants out of the 400 entries and also is one of the winners in a children's "Christmas Lamb" exhibit. The award ceremony is next weekend. So happy for her.

Oh, yeah. I'm turning the big 4-0 next Sunday. Whoo-hoo.

2 comments:

  1. I though I had post my comment but I guess I am not that computor savy yet! Thanks for the treat of your presence and thanks for the nice pictures. You inspire me to be my best!Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing !
    When it comes to Health, Safety and Environment solutions, Poshe Solutions Pvt. Ltd is the leading institute for all international safety courses.
    Nebosh course in chennai
    Nebosh courses in chennai
    Nebosh in Chennai
    Nebosh IGC in Chennai
    Iosh Ms in Chennai
    Iosh courses in Chennai

    ReplyDelete