Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Snowball Cookies~a healthier, easier, no-bake version

I was excited to find out that the author of http:/www.greensmoothiegirl.com ( book and blog that has got me all gung- ho with drinking a green smoothie every day) has teamed up with Desiree from: http://www.unconventionalkitchen.com/ and brought us this new book:


I haven't purchased one yet, but I'd like to. It seems very appealing to me. I've wanted to try making some of the holiday goodies I'll prepare a little healthier. Especially for my mom who can't have dairy and recently found out that she has diabetes. These recipes stick with unrefined sugars, whole grains, healthy fats, and like I said, are dairy free. A lot of them seem like they might be raw and are all using whole, unprocessed foods. I really think we can still have all the treats and indulgences to make the holidays special, without feeling the guilt and gaining the pounds that often come with the season.
~
Before I go on, I wanted to tell you how happy I am that I've been able to help two of my dear friends join me on the green smoothie bandwagon. Phyllis hasn't felt good for quite some time. She was in bed for almost two weeks. I took her over a quart of smoothie two different times and she couldn't believe how good it was and how it seemed to perk her up. She agrees that they are the best and easiest way to incorporate greens and fruits into your diet.
~
I mentioned before that I had made one for Monique when she came to visit me the other day. She took it home, shared some with her family and now has her mom hooked. While I was out on my morning walk the other day, Monique saw me and pulled up, rolled her window down held up her Gatorade bottle now filled with green stuff, and yelled, "I've got my green smoothie!" She's so excited. She drinks one every day. She says she can't believe how much energy she feels and is now sharing them with co-workers who've caught some of her enthusiasm and have also started the habit.
~
COOL!
~
Anyway, back to this book and back to the real topic of the day-- Snowball Cookies. Both websites shared this recipe to hook folks like me into buying the book. I'm glad they did. I decided to try them out last night and make some to stick in the freezer for the kid's lunches. Boy, are they good. (I knew I had to double the recipe.) Almost like a little power bar in a cute, little, convenient ball-form. Everyone here seemed to agree. Here you go:

From Desiree's blog:
1 C peanut butter (unsweetened, natural)
1/2 C honey (Emily: I used agave for the total sweetener here. It's a whole food, low glycemic food. I found it at Costco and another local market in a gallon jug for a pretty good price.)
1/4 C brown rice syrup, or more honey
2 1/3 C cereal, I used a brown rice cereal from Good Earth that is like rice krispies
1 C puffed millet cereal, also found at the health food store, again any puffed grain cereal would do, or you could do 1/2 C of oats
(I also stirred in some shredded, unsweetened desiccated coconut. Find it at the health food store or specialty cooking store. Candy makers use this.)
2 T chia seeds, or flax, or both
~
Mix all of the ingredients together and scoop out with a mini ice cream scoop, or you can press the mix into a baking pan to make bars, they will soften as they sit. After letting them soften for 1-2 hours cut into bars.
Feel free to add coconut, wheat germ, dried fruit, mini chocolate chips, really whatever your heart desires. You can also make them with almond butter instead of peanut butter. (Emily: I rolled them in the coconut for the "snowball effect"
~
(Me again: You might be asking, "What the heck is chia? Like, as in Chia Pet?" Yes, friends, the seed we get in those little kits is a power food that's becoming more and more popular and available. I first heard about them and started eating them last fall after I read the book "Born to Run". They really helped when I ran my marathon. Desiree gives us a good run down on the nutrition these little seeds offer:)

"Chia seeds are SO good for you, they have more omega threes than salmon. Chia has fifteen times more magnesium than broccoli, three times more iron than spinach, six times more calcium than milk, and two times more potassium than bananas. 2 oz of chia seeds gives you 560 mg of vitamin c! Chia seeds soak up to 10 times its weight in water, this helps you to stay hydrated longer (which helps with endurance).The greatest part about chia seeds is that they are tasteless, so you can add them to salads, smoothies, power bars, muffins, cookies, ext. ext."
~
Hope you try these. They are good, trust me. They'll make you feel good too, knowing that we can still celebrate the holidays with both yummy and nourishment at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. I can't do green smoothies during the winter months. My body craves warm foods. And, I've yet to ever buy Chia seeds too. Good for you though - I do think Green Smoothies are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete