Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Daybook for January 17, 2011

Outside my window: The sunset tonight was unbelievable. Probably because of all the smut in the air. Nevertheless, it was a sight to see. I'm glad Eliza took the camera out to capture a bit of it on the east side view.
.
I am thinking: How much I've been blessed this past year with such kind and caring friends. They've each come at a time in my life when I've truly needed friendship and connection, filling a hole in my heart.

I am thankful for: You, my kind blog readers and friends. All your kind comments and visits to this space have touched me and brightened my days.

From the kitchen: been cooking up a storm. Can you guess why? (Psss... Remember the pantry?)

Blueberry-Almond Granola



Homemade Chicken Pot pie made for a cozy "Welcome home, Keith" Sunday dinner



I almost loved this more than the pot pie-
sauteed summer squash with mushrooms, garlic, and Parmesan.



chocolate chip oatmeal cookies

I am creating: Need to get thank- you cards written and sent.

I am going: to gather everyone in a bit for what we call "Family Home Evening" time. We reserve Monday night for being at home together. We'll sing, pray, read a bit from the New Testament, maybe read a character building story or have some sort of lesson, maybe play a game, and then have a treat. That's the plan we try to shoot for. Some nights are better than others. It's seeming like Sunday evenings are working better for us this way. Sam has an away game tonight and Gary is doing the same kind of thing with his church youth group.

I am hoping: the massage I get tomorrow will continue to make things better for me. The one I had a week and a half ago has worked wonders for my hips and leg. I ran for 45 minutes this morning (with a 5 minute walk down a hill). YAY!

I am reading: still plowing away with The Minister's Wooing. Also dabbling a bit when I can in: Feeding the Healthy Vegetarian Family, The Time-Starved Family, Own Your Own Health, and Light on Life (yoga).

Around the house: After dinner, just a little while ago, Gary had Martin Luther King Jr.'s I Have a Dream Speech on YouTube. We all stopped what we were doing and gathered around the computer where we listened in silence. It gave me the chills, and near the end, I had the urge to weep. (I'm finding that I'm doing more and more of that lately when something touches me deeply.)

Now, as Eliza's doing the dishes, we're listening to the Little Women soundtrack. One of my all time favorites.

I am hearing: Eliza went to a birthday party for a friend Saturday night. At the party, her best friend from school sat down by her and said, randomly, "Your mom has the coolest hair. The silver in it makes it look so shiny. I like how she's just let it go." This little info from Eliza made me smile and laugh (out loud).

One of my favorite things: I just had to take a picture of this darling cookie Isaac brought home from church yesterday. His teacher, Melissa who is also our dear neighbor, helps make church a much looked forward to event for Isaac.



Isn't it cute how the snowman is melting?

I am wearing: red cable knit turtleneck sweater, navy cords, brown clogs, tiny silver hoop earrings.

A few plans for the rest of the week: massage tomorrow morning, playing chauffeur for my kids all week- more than usual (ugh), church meetings and telephone calls, Keith will go up to help Grandpa again for four days, as well as for the next two weeks (trying "buck up" for this one.), Sam's basketball game, Sam and Jane's school "Winterfest".

4 comments:

  1. i made a similar pie last night as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All sings home "Emily style"! It amazes me how many likes we have in common! That cookie is super cute and all the food super yummy! We celebrate Dr. King too and went roller skating! I love your hair too! Thanks for being inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I "just let my hair go" too!
    I like these Daybooks, they help to build up a picture of you.
    By the way I found a new friend recently too!
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily, I was here :)
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings, it's comforting to know that we have the same kind of challenges and experiences.
    xGroetjesx

    ReplyDelete