Sunday, January 30, 2011

Daybook for January 30, 2011

Outside my window: The sun has just gone down. Most of the snow from this week's storm has almost melted.

I am thinking: about Gary moving out. Thinking about it and talking things over, he and I felt like this would be the best thing for him to do at this point in his life. He already experienced college life, including a study abroad in Jordan, and was missing his independence. He's working now full time, preparing and saving money (he's saved all that and more) to serve a full time mission for our church. We've packed up all his room and he's waiting to find out about an apartment he looked at yesterday near the university 20 minutes away from our home. He's also looking to purchase an inexpensive car. It will be nice for him to have his own transportation.
This change is bittersweet for me. It's hard to know that I won't have the day to day, close interaction with him like I've had. We'll all miss him. I do know that he'll learn a lot by having more control over his life and independence, appreciate home more, and will be closer to the social and academic life of the university.
I am thankful for: Eliza's science fair project finally being done.


From the kitchen: I made a nice dinner tonight. Turkey in the crockpot, mashed potatoes, sauteed asparagus with garlic and mushrooms, green salad, and for dessert a carrot cake (no sugar/dairy). A healthier version with coconut oil, coconut milk, Succanat and agave for the sweetener. Can't believe how moist and delish it turned out to be.

I am creating: more order and organization in my bedroom closet. That's my goal this week.

I am going: to head over to my mom and dad's for a visit. (Taking the cake.)

I am hearing: Rachmaninoff piano concerto no. 2 in C minor (adagio). I can't stop listening to this.

I am hoping: Sam and Jane feel better. Sam went to bed right when we got home from church this afternoon. I think he has the cold bug that Isaac had on Friday and Saturday. Some of you may not know that Jane broke her back this past summer and is still experiencing a lot of pain. She over did it when our family helped clean the church yesterday and then she went to a dance that night. She also started a yoga/running class this week and I'm concerned that she's doing too much. She came home early from church and has been resting all day.

Around the house: With Gary moving out, his stuff is piled up in a corner of our music room. I had always thought that once that room was made available, I'd convert it into a sewing room. I decided it would probably be a better situation for Eliza to move out of the room she shares with Jane and move into Gary's room. The girls' room is very small and crammed. It would make both of them happy to have their own space. When Jane leaves for college next fall, I'll get my sewing room dream back. I think I can wait until then.

I am reading: Need a good novel. Going to the library tomorrow. Any suggestions?

One of my favorite things: A friend of Gary's brought over these eggs from their chickens. These were the same kinds of eggs we got daily from our chickens. I miss those days so much. This boy's mother is going to order some chicks this spring and wanted to know if we wanted to go in on an order. Oh, how I want to. Since all our chickens died out over the years, and the coop fell apart, we need to start fresh. A new coop needs to come first.


I am wearing: Still have my apron on from dinner. I'm also wearing brown pants, navy top, and red slippers.

A few plans for the rest of the week: Piano and violin lessons for Isaac and Jane, Sam's home basketball game on Wednesday. I've been asked to help judge at Eliza's school science fair Wednesday. Keith will head up again to help take care of his dad.

2 comments:

  1. All is will be well! That dinner menu sounds delicious! The girls will love their owm space and you don't sow everyday now...so it's brilliante! hope for all good things came your way! Novel suggestion...if you like Jannette Wells..."Broken Horses" is a biographic novel about the amazing character of her grandmother...The reading flows and I liked it! xoxos! I hope Sam and Jane get better! I had Sarah and Kevin sick with sinus cold over the weekend too. I hope they get good enough to go to school tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have lots going on these days!

    ReplyDelete