Thursday, January 20, 2011

Easy Fish Tacos


These were as good last night as they were last summer when I wrote this post on my old blog. Very fast and easy in between Sam's basketball game and driving Jane all over the county.

Today at the farmer's market, I picked up some freshly made corn tortillas from a local Mexican market. I've been thinking about and craving some good fish tacos. Tonight was as good a time as ever. Boy, did these hit the spot. Easy to prepare. Light and fresh; especially with the broiling temperatures we had today.

When I first heard of fish tacos some years ago, I wasn't sure about the idea. I liked fish. I liked tacos. But "fish" in tacos? I tried them and now they are one of my top fave Mexican dishes. When eating out and also preparing them at home, I don't go for ones that are breaded and deep fried. Don't have the time and I try to stay away from deep fried stuff, if I can. You have to serve these with cabbage. It's just the way. Also, the tangy, and very tasty sauce totally make these come alive. (After I ate my three tacos and saw the puddle of sauce on my plate, I couldn't resist and laughed at myself for bending my head and taking a LICK off the plate. Now, to do something like that must mean it's real good, friends!) The recipe here makes a great salad dressing or dip.

Easy Fish Tacos
(this made enough for about 6 people)

Cube into bite sized pieces, six Tilapia fillets or other white fish. In a skillet, pour 1/4 cup lemon juice and 2 T. olive oil, then the cut up fish. Sprinkle with a packet of taco seasoning. Cook over medium high heat until fish is cooked and opaque. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Shred some cabbage and cut up some tomato to place in separate bowls to serve with your tacos.

Sauce (tasty enough to lick from your plate)

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
1 lime, juiced (I substituted lemon juice, as I didn't have any. Still good.)
1 jalapeno pepper, minced (another change here. I used a few tiny banana peppers from the garden.)
1/2 t. oregano
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 to 1 t. cayenne pepper

Whisk together and chill if there's time so the flavors can come together. Check seasoning; adjust if necessary.

Warm up some corn tortillas, call the family, and get ready to chow down.

2 comments: