Wednesday, January 12, 2011

music can move

I've been thinking about music. It's power to move me. Deeply. Just the other night, Gary had a Rachmaninoff piano concerto blaring while I was making dinner. I could hear it from my bedroom later that night. I can't tell you what it did to me. I can't put in words how much it moved me. All at the same time, I loved it for it's beauty and power, it made me want to sob, and it kind of put me in a bad mood- like ANGST. How crazy is that.

Recently, I've also found solace again in some vocal choir recordings of John Rutter's For the Beauty of the Earth and A Gaelic Blessing. Listening to these while doing dishes also made me cry out of sheer joy. They brought back, so succinctly, those memorable years in high school when we sang them in A'cappella choir.

I love all kinds of music. I think I'm the only person I know who appreciates so much variety in my tastes. I'll like and listen to practically anything. I haven't really learned to like country music, heavy metal, or rap, though. Just yesterday, while making tortillas, I found my groove to some "yoga music" I occasionally like hearing in class --Krishna Das. As far as modern music, I think I'll never tire of listening to my favorite U2. So excited to go to my first ever concert when they'll come to town in May. You'll find me also listening to Indian sitar music, Middle East funk, bluegrass, Dave Brubeck or Brazilian jazz (thank you, Papa), New Age piano, sacred choral music, Bach preludes, musicals...The list is long.

Music is a gift. It is a blessing in my life. It can bring me out of a slump. It can soothe my soul. It can move me to a place I can't describe. It can help bring a peaceful spirit to my home. It can help push me when I'm running those many miles. Music is so powerful. I've heard it said that it is language of soul, the language of heaven. I don't know what my life would be without music.

What kind of music moves you?

2 comments:

  1. somehow this doesn't surprise me about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renaissance, baroc, gaelic music, U2, George Winston, pop, italian opera, Broadway, classic(Bach, Mozart, Handel, Vivaldi, Schubert, Strauss, Yo-yo Ma) jazz, my Sarah playing the piano, pretty much anything and none of some things in Hard Metal, Punk and so forth. Love music.

    ReplyDelete