Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Seeing the Everyday

Our lives are the sum
Of each moment and interaction.
Each day we work, eat, laugh, teach, play, read, remember...
And work at it all again the next day.
Within seemingly small moments we find opportunity
To build relationships, develop character, find joy
For the price of our time.
Life's most essential possibilities are realized at home.
We share, teach, grow, learn, serve, give
Our best without praise or fanfare.
Because every effort, every moment matters
In the development of a person.
Nothing is really routine
To all who SEE THE EVERYDAY.
(found on the inside cover)

A couple of months ago, while looking through the used book/library sale shelves, I came across a copy of this magazine. It immediately caught my attention with its title Seeing the Everyday. I gleefully payed 50 cents for it and couldn't wait to get home to devour it.


I'd never seen or heard of this magazine before. I was so attracted to the gorgeous photography (these are the types of photos I wish I could take), the toothy feel of the paper, the themes, and the absence of any advertising whatsoever. It looked like the one I had picked up was the first published edition. It made me want to find out if it was still being published.


I did some research. I went to the website: http://www.seeingtheeveryday.com/The magazine is published quarterly and comes out of Cambridge, Massachusetts. (Here's the phone number if you're interested: 617.475.5130)


I told my family how excited I was to be able to find this magazine; they enjoyed it as much as I did. Later, I was happily surprised when Jane gave me a subscription for a Christmas gift.




It came in the mail a couple of days ago. It looks like each edition has the same format and general topics. Each story or essay comes from contributing readers who submit their work for publication. Sort of reminds me of just the sort of blogs I like to read and gravitate towards.




Each edition highlights something different about "the everyday". This winter one focused on Eating. It looks like each edition has the same general format or contents.


This might give you an idea:


Eat:
Biscuits and Gravy
Baking Bread
Green Bean Pizza

Work:
Setting the Table
Dad Following Through
Trusting Dad
Living Gratitude

Play:
Pulling Together
All While in the Kitchen
Getting Dinner On

Listen

Teach:
While We Wash Dishes
Growing Around the Table
Remembering Martha

Laugh

Build:
Graham Crackers and Mom
Dad Saw What I Couldn't
Graceful and Majestic
Soup for the Soul

Share:
(Research)
Family Mealtime-Coming Home to Eat


Hope this little review was helpful to you. It's nice to be able to share neat finds with each other. I love it when beautiful things, opportunities, resources, helps, and gifts, like this magazine is for me, just fall into your lap.


4 comments:

  1. I love this publication, I've always wanted to subscribe as well. Lovely gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this before- I am going to order this- Love your blog Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes, I think I would like this too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, I never comment on BLOGS, but I saw this post and had to put in my two cents! I have all of the back issues if you are ever interested! It is the best magazine out there! Did you see my cute kids in the first issue? They are on pages 38, 44 - 47. They look so little there compared to now! I have really loved scrolling through your blog!
    Cathie Hughes (your old neighbor)

    ReplyDelete