Sunday, January 9, 2011

"smell my breath"


Sardines. Do you like them? I never did, or thought I would, until just the last few years.
~
In Portugal, a big thing there is to grill them whole. A "sardinada", it's called. I never went for it. Or tried it. Keith's mom started opening up cans and letting us have some before dinner. I decided to try it. Wow. I couldn't believe how much I liked it. My culinary horizons were expanding. We all love them here. Isaac, especially, begs to have them for lunch or for a special snack.
~
We like the kind packed in olive oil. Sometimes you can find some made in Portugal. Many health food stores and some oriental type markets carry them. There is a technique that one must follow to have the best experience. Here's how you do it:
~

Take a box of crackers out of the pantry
Get out a little plate
Open up your can of sardines (or kipper snacks, if you are extra adventuresome)
Don't drain off the oil
Place a bit of fish on the cracker with a fork
Drizzle on some "Louisiana style" hot sauce
Squeeze a bit of lemon or lime juice on top
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Now, eat. Savor each little morsel.
~
Does that sound good? Now go around to everyone in your vicinity, like Isaac did the other day, and ask them to smell your breath. That's the only drawback I can see.

3 comments:

  1. You guys are wordly seasoned tasters! LOL! Try to make a paste for sandwiches minus the bones with garbanzos beans in the food processor.(you can add a touch of hot sauce of the fiery taste) Makes great sandwich with crispy lettuce, cuccumbers,tomatoes and boilled eggs slices and sliced olives if you want. Call it sardinhada in a bun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up w/ those canned sardines because my Dad was Norwegian and loved all that fishy stuff, but I never really liked them. But those grilled sardines in Portugal, w/ the really good olive oil and potatoes -- I thought that was great! (by the way this is Kristina Eide, don't think my profile includes my name)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to branch out! My family loves Sardines. My dad always takes some when we go hiking. Once we've made it halfway or so He'll pull out a can and a box of crackers and carefully divide them between the eight or so watering mouths. One of my favorite memories as a child. Maybe it was his time spent in Portugal that got him started. I've never asked, but it's a tradition that's sure to continue.

    ReplyDelete