Wednesday, January 5, 2011

winter walkabout

As the sun finally came out today, I thought it would be enjoyable for us to go on a walk together.
Let's go, shall we?



This is my home. My stomping grounds. My neighborhood. I wish my camera could do justice to the true beauty I do see every day. These are the views and the paths and some of the routes I've taken when I've run those 6 miles each day, or now when I walk for as long as I'm able.

We're blessed to live in this beautiful valley, to be nestled at the base of these majestic, beautiful mountains. This range of mountains runs north to south as far as the eye can see. They are the most pronounced physical landmark in my life. Don't they just shout "strength, stability, power, and safety"? When I've traveled away or lived in a different place, I just can't seem to get my bearings and I somehow feel vulnerable and lost without their presence, a thing I've often taken for granted in my life.

Just around the corner from my house, just a little down the street, is our church. It's the place where our family worships every Sunday, and where we also might have activities one day out of the week.

About 2 miles north of home, we see that things are looking a little more rural. Farmer's fields, orchard groves, and silos dot the landscape.

As we turn westward and walk some distance more, we'll view our temple.

The temple sits at the top of this hill. This hill is close to my heart. It is the hill that taught me many lessons when I ran up and down it each day. It was foundational in teaching me that I could do hard things. It doesn't look like it in the picture, but this hill seems to go on forever. It seemed impossible, at the beginning, to run up the hill without stopping. The day came when I could do it. (My own personal Rocky moment, for sure.) It was a joyful, exhilarating feat each day, reaching the top. It was a joy sailing down it; I felt almost like I was flying. Maybe one day I can do those things again with this hill that's become my friend.
Now that I'm walking up its steep incline, I'm becoming aware of things I hadn't noticed before. The outward things I see and the inward things I feel.

It makes me happy when I can see the horses.

We're almost home.

Here's my street. Looks like the garbage truck just came. It's a quiet street. No pretence. The houses are a little older. Most sit on 1/2 acre lots. We like having our space. We like having the feeling that we "don't have to keep up with the Joneses". That's why we moved here.

Home again, home again, jiggity-jig.

Now you know a little more about where I live.
Thanks for coming along, friend.

3 comments:

  1. You live in a beautiful place, those mountains are stunning, especially with the covering of snow. It's so good to appreciate the beauty of where we live, so easy in busy lives to take everyday things for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the snow covered mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to be aware of one's surroundings! :)

    ReplyDelete