Sunday, February 27, 2011

Daybook for February 27, 2011

Outside my window:


One minute it is snowing. (We've been waking up to lots of snow on the ground these last few days.)Then the sun comes out, like it is now, and it seems like spring is truly on its way. The daffodils are poking their heads up out of the ground and this always makes my heart happy.

I am thinking:


About this cute, little boy of mine. He started complaining of a headache yesterday afternoon. It evolved into a high fever and sore throat. I had him sleep near me on a little bed I made on the floor. I ended up putting him in bed with us because of the terrible dreams he was having. He does this once and awhile, especially when he's sick. It's like he's awake with eyes opened, but he's not making sense and is horribly frightened and upset. There have been times in the past where he gets up and runs around the room. It's so hard for Keith and I to see him like this. All I can do is turn on the light, reassure him and hold him and whisper in his ear. Needless to say, I was up most of the night. This morning, I was certain he had strep throat. A visit to the doctor confirmed it. Today he's still in my bed, away from everyone, with the fever having left him. Eliza complained of a headache and we all decided it was best for everyone to stay home from church today.
~
I am thankful for: Gary was asked to be one of the speakers in the church service in his ward. (In our church, we call each congregation "wards". Gary attends a local ward of young single adults.) The meeting's focus is on partaking of the sacrament-- the bread and water in remembrance of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. The remainder of the time is given to a few people in the congregation who are asked before hand to share their feelings and understanding about a religious doctrine or topic. We also sing and pray in our "Sacrament Meeting".

Keith and I wanted to attend the meeting this afternoon to support and listen to Gary's talk (or speech). Isaac settled down to watch a movie here at home with the other children nearby to attend to him. That meeting had a very special spirit about it. My eyes filled with tears, my heart was overflowing with love, especially for this sweet son of mine. He was so sincere and earnest, and his words touched many hearts. Especially mine. I'm so thankful to have a son like him.
~
In the kitchen: Sam's busy now in the kitchen making a chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting. Can't wait for that! I'm going to get busy and make some taco soup and some chapati bread to go with.
~
I am creating: These weren't created by me, but by Eliza. With this nice and slow home-day, she's been holed up in her bedroom doing all kinds of creative things. She made these beautiful silk roses just this morning. She puts a clip on them to put in her hair. Since our friend Phyllis taught us how to make them last summer, Eliza has perfected this creative pursuit.



I am going: to love my new vacuum that I bought yesterday. So nice to have one that actually works and doesn't break down all the time.
~
I am hearing: "Mom, do you know where the peanut butter is?" :)
~
I am hoping: That no one else gets sick. Hoping that Gary can find a car. He's been looking for so long to find one around $5,000 and in good condition. (If you have any leads, please speak up!!) He's taken about 4 hopefuls to be checked out at repair shops ($), and they've all ended up being duds. He has another one he's going to do the same with tomorrow and we're all keeping our fingers crossed that this will be the one.
~
Around the house:


Eliza has two closets in her new room. She decided to change things around a bit and move her desk into one of the closets. I love what she's done with the space, don't you? Now, it frees up space for her fairy house project that she's been working on since the summer. (I'll have to show you pictures one of these days. It's unbelievable.) It sure beats having to work on it out in the cold garage.

Wish I would have brought my camera to Jane's final group violin recital yesterday afternoon. (The last of these almost 13 years she's been playing.) She performed beautifully, and I'm realizing with this last one that she's growing up and will be leaving us soon. Keith and I, Jane's beloved teacher Diane, and Jane got so emotional, as you can imagine. In early April, she will be having her own solo senior recital so I guess we will deal with more of those feelings when that day comes.

Also, realized that my camera batteries were dead when Jane left to go on her Sweethearts ball. I wish you could've seen how pretty she looked in her new dress.
~
I am reading: Lots of study and delving into plant-based diet books. Reading The Horse and His Boy (a Narnia book) with Isaac. Can't decide what novel to read. Can't decide whether to read something new or go back to one I've already loved and read before.
~
One of my favorite things: Went to a open house/yoga class last night in my friend's (and neighbor's) new home studio. I'm so happy for Melanie and for Tyran, her partner, and their new found space for their practice and teaching.
~
A few plans for the rest of the week: a few parent teacher conferences to attend. Also, looking forward to Gary's big 20th birthday he'll celebrate on Saturday. I'm sure we'll all go out to dinner.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Emily, you're so sweet. It makes me so happy you came!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother Luis use to have that kind of delirious state when he run high fevers as a child...guess he grew out of it. I can only dream of cake, any kind. It looks like Sam is really taking to cooking. What beautiful flowers Elisa put together! I am sorry not to have seem photos of Jane...she is so delicatly beautiful!
    I bet it was really comforting hear Gary speaking! He is Birthday on the 5th?
    i can't wait for Spring either! Is Melanie teaching yoga at her house? xoxos for everybody at home, especially like Isaac!

    ReplyDelete