Saturday, February 26, 2011

Dear Guitar of Mine (gathering dust in the corner):



Hello, old friend.

I know this might come as a surprise, but I've been thinking about you lately. Especially yesterday as I was driving in my car and heard the beautiful acoustics in Stevie Nick's Landslide song that was playing on the radio. I thought, "what a beautiful sound the guitar makes". (I thought of you then.)

Then a few minutes later (is it a coincidence?) as I walked into the Best in Music shop to buy some violin strings for Jane, I saw all those guitars lined up on the walls. I remembered that this is where you were bought those 6 years ago.

Yes, something was speaking to me.

I know there have been so many excuses as to why we don't get together more often. "Maybe when Isaac isn't a baby, maybe then I'll have more time for you. Maybe when Relief Society president duties end, then my life will slow down". Well, my friend, it looks like there truly might be time and space for a deeper relationship between us both.

I've always wanted to get to know you better. Remember when I was five years old and played my imaginary " 'lectric guitar", constantly, whether it was singing my heart out with Glen Cambell to Rhinestone Cowboy or with Helen Reddy to Delta Dawn, What's That Flower You've Got On.?

Don't you see that it's my destiny to learn how to play with you? A real you and not just a pretend, imaginary you? We could make such beautiful music and memories together. I would just love to sit down with you and make that happen. To sing with the kids, whether it's around a campfire, or at Family Home Evening, or to accompany when Isaac and I sing together every morning, or those times when I'm alone, needing to express beauty and love and joy and melancholy. Maybe if I become a teacher one day, wouldn't that be fun to sit on the floor in a circle with children and have you there to bring joy to us all?

These are all the things that I'm thinking about. Things that might motivate me to spend regular time with you. I know my fingers might hurt a little. I know it takes commitment. I know that if I choose to spend time with you, other things might slide. I know it takes time. I know it would be a tragedy to let our relationship die.

Let's get together, shall we? I miss you. I want to get to know you better. I would love you to play a part in my life. You would bring me so much happiness. I want to be a better friend. I'm sorry that you've been neglected. Be patient with me, okay?


Love,

Emily

1 comment:

  1. It seems that you are about to nurture a neglected relationship with your guitar - It could be fun and interesting! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete