Friday, February 4, 2011

In honor of Chinese New Year, we give you Peanut Noodles!



Happy Chinese New Year, friends!


It seems like I'm always in the mood for Asian food. Last night's dinner seemed to take on that theme, and I think, depending on my time, we'll either continue celebrating tonight with take-out or homemade egg rolls.


Jane is loving her Chinese class at school. Mrs. Ma (Her name means "horse" in Chinese. Cool)) went the extra mile by having all the students in her four classes make steamed pork dumplings and wanton with vegetables and a dipping sauce. She purchased all the food out of her own pocket and then did all the prep work, as well. What a nice teacher. She told the class that back in China, a typical family would prepare between 25 or 30 dishes for the festival. When Jane described all this to me after school, my mouth was sure a 'waterin'.


Anyway, I'm glad that I had the plans made for peanut noodles for Thursday's dinner menu. With Keith being gone again, which meant more time for me in the driver's seat, this made for a very fast and easy meal. I had bought some Japanese buckwheat Soba noodles to try for the first time (we're studying Asia, remember?) and it was fun to use them this way. I also liked the fact that I already had all the ingredients in the pantry; nothing too exotic. The kids said that this dish turned out to be one of their "favorite things".


See for yourself.



Peanut Sauce for Noodles

1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (a little sesame oil might be nice, t00.)
1/4 cup Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce- might need to adjust)
2 tsp. rice vinegar
1/4 cup agave nectar or honey
1 clove garlic, minced
cayenne pepper (for a little kick) and salt to taste

Whisk ingredients together. Pour over cooked noodles. (about a pound) In a wok, I stir fried some slivered onion, sliced sweet peppers and thinly sliced carrots, and threw in a handful of sugar snap peas. Cooked all until crisp tender. Combine everything together and serve with a sprinkling of chopped peanuts on top to garnish.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! So good to travel in our minds and appreciate all these differents wonderful places. I wrote down the recipe thanks. Sarah loves it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 新年快乐!恭喜恭喜,恭喜发财!Happy New Year! Congratulations! May you prosper!

    ReplyDelete