Friday, March 4, 2011

Art In My Home

My home is filled with a variety of art. I think that so many things in everyday life can be an seen as art form, whether they be a loaf of bread made beautiful by braiding it and scattering seeds on top, a salad carefully and thoughtfully arranged, a vase of flowers on the table to add color and cheer at meal time, or a young child's drawing hanging proudly on the fridge. Creative expression, I believe, is so important to a happy life. I believe in surrounding my family with beautiful things. The impact, even on a subconscious level, has a profound effect on a soul. I hope that by surrounding ourselves with art, whether it's a painting, a drawing, the keeping of a nature notebook, a sculpture, pottery for every day use, a quilt on the bed or on the wall...each can be a gift and a blessing to the space we live in and the peace we feel in our hearts.

Here's some of these gifts that grace our home:


Eliza's art teacher painted this for her birthday last year. What a treasure.

I love collecting pottery from local artisans.



My brother Reuben works in a stained glass shop. When I saw this piece of his, I knew I had to own it. I love to hang it on the porch every autumn.


Keith and I picked up this print from the framers last night. I'm so pleased with the way it turned out.

Details from Brian Kershisnik's "Nativity". We have it hung in our bedroom. I'm in love.

Gary brought this hand quilted pillow sham back from Egypt. It hangs over the mantle. I can't tell you how much I love this treasure.

My sister Natalie gave this sweet "Sisters" sculpture for me for Christmas years ago. Every time I see it, I think of my relationship with her, as well as Eliza and Jane's sisterhood.

This is one of Reuben's earlier pieces that hangs in our library window over my sewing machine. I love to see the way light plays with the color.


These next images are brought to you by my 12 year old resident artist daughter Eliza. She made this illumination when we were studying Medieval history.

Fairy folk with pressed leaves and flower dresses. What creativity!

Just one of hundreds of sketches in her notebooks.

Page from a bird study in her nature notebook.
.

She won first prize last summer in the city youth art show.

Eliza's solution to an empty wall space in her room: a quick painting with a line of poetry by a favorite poet.

Another solution to fill a big wall space; a quilt to hang made by your's truly.

These two watercolor paintings were gifted to us at Christmas by my father. His talent has blessed not only his own life, but all of our family's. He loves to create and share.

Is there a way you've found to bring beauty into your home? What creative expression can you offer as a gift to your surroundings?

2 comments:

  1. wow, lots of creativity in your family! I am very impressed with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I'm uber jealous of the Kershisnik print. He is one of my favorite artists. He's a really great guy too. I really miss teaching Eliza. She is so very talented!

    ReplyDelete