Wednesday, March 23, 2011

being needed


Today
when I heard him coughing
with that terrible croupy bark I fear.
(We were just talking yesterday, as we drove to school how he hasn't missed a day-
it was a jinx.)
I put him in my bed,
brought juice and toast,
filled the humidifier, the diffuser.
Eucalyptus rubs on chest and back and feet.
Nurturing those little ones comes
so naturally.
~
But I'm finding that these children of mine
who have passed me in height
still need mothering.
~
"Can you come pick me up, Mom?"
Earache and sinus infection
I give and he takes, willingly,
remedies, juice, antibiotics.
A mother's concern and
love made visible.
~
Waiting for me
while talking on the phone
to her dad, a judge at
the state science fair,
another daughter
patiently waits.
"Can I talk to you, Mom?"
Her heart opens.
I give advice. She listens.
~
While I make them their dinner
her sister, let down
such a huge disappointment.
I reassure. I stroke her hair later
in the quiet of the bedroom.
"Things will work out. Do the best
you can."
~
Now, tonight. Long talk and sharing over
the phone.
I listen.
Living in the moment. This is now.
Plans, hopes, conquering
fears.
He needs me to just listen.
That I'm here
for him.
~
To be needed.
To nurse, to nurture, to listen, to touch, to talk.
To love.
~
It's enough.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, that is mothering at its core! Love for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a wonderful mother AND a wonderful writer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. test comment Emily. I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It worked! I don't understand why but it did! I used to not be able to do this. Technology baffles me.

    ReplyDelete