Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Hot Pink Breakfast Smoothie

Mmmm, good.



I've been incorporating more greens and living foods into my diet these last several months. Robin's, "Green Smoothie Girl", website, book, and 12 Steps to Whole Foods program has really been helpful to me on this journey into a more plant based diet. I'm loving the way I'm feeling. Especially as I've tried to drink a quart of green smoothie first thing in the morning. (spinach, kale, chard--2/3 full, half a banana, and a few other wonderful fruits + water and sipped with GLEE!) Such an easy and enjoyable way to incorporate large amounts of leafy, nutrient dense greens, fruits, and vegetables into my life.

There was a recipe for this Hot Pink Smoothie that kind of scared me. I've never been a beet fan and didn't know if I would like it. Yesterday, on my produce run, I decided to go for it and buy a few beets.

Wow. This drink turned out to be a JOY. So, so, good. I can't wait to make this again. And have the family try it.


I'm glad to find a way to incorporate beets into my life. Here's what Robin has to say about the nutrition in beets:

"The juice of the beet is rich in sodium, chlorine, iodine, copper, bioflavanoids, and vitamins B1, B2, and C. Folic acid, found abundantly in beets, helps anemias and cervical cancer. The juice is excellent for cleansing and rebuilding kidneys and gallbladder. As a fibrous root, it's excellent for eliminating constipation, adding bulk to the diet, and improving peristalsis in the intestines. The red color is actually betacyanin, a powerful anti-carcinogen known to prevent colon cancer. And a study showed a 30-40% drop in cholesterol and triglycerides of animals fed beet fiber."

I'm so happy to have discovered coconut water. Yes, it's the water or juice that you hear when you shake a coconut. This liquid is a nutritional powerhouse. It has the same level of electrolyte balance as our blood has. I've read in numerous books and websites how it was used in emergency plasma transfusions in the Pacific conflict during World War II. Coconuts are a good way to detoxify and nourish the body and are known for their anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-microbial properites. Coconut water is fat free (which is no big deal in and of itself), and has a whopping 650 mg. of potassium (more than double the amount in sports drinks or energy drinks.)- even more than a banana. Since I've been running, I've never felt good about using Gator-Ade type drinks. The sugars, the artificial colors, etc. turned me off. Now, after a long run, this natural drink is the first thing I grab to replenish my lost electrolytes and quench my thirst.

You can't go wrong with the nutrition in strawberries and carrots. That's a no brainer. A few pitted dates offer a sweet touch and instant energy and the cashews give you a healthy fat that tides you over till lunch and also gives the drink a very creamy quality.

Adding a scoop of hemp, brown rice, and chia seed protein powder is a great way to add some essential amino acids, protein (mine gives 22 grams a scoop), as well as a good dose of omegas and fiber.

A whole foods meal to start the day that's easy transportable and delicious to boot! A big thank you to Robin.

Go ahead, like I did today, and give this a try! (this makes a quart)

1 1/2 c. coconut liquid (raw from a coconut, or you can find this in cans or cartons)
1 large carrot, cleaned and cut into small pieces (or 5-6 baby carrots)
1/4 of a medium beet, raw, peeled
1/4 c. cashews, raw and unsalted
1/4 c. chopped dates
2 tsp. vanilla
12 frozen or fresh strawberries
optional: 1-2 T. plant protein powder (with hemp, pea, brown rice, and chia)
optional: 2 T. kefir or yogurt.

9 comments:

  1. guess what - Robin is coming to my area the end of this month. I am planning on going. Her and David Wolf. Should be interesting - best part - it is free : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic! Where do you get that powder? I want some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Denise: Yay!!! She had mentioned on her blog that she was headed up that way. That's cool that you get to go- and free--can't beat that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Lindsey: I've found the powder at Good Earth and I've also seen it at the Bosch kitchen store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! We've been doing daily green smoothies for almost a year now, and it's amazing the difference in health and energy we have all enjoyed. I'll never go back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recipe! I think I am going to try it with a few adjustments for ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks and sounds phenomenal. thanks for sharing. xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing !
    When it comes to Health, Safety and Environment solutions, Poshe Solutions Pvt. Ltd is the leading institute for all international safety courses.
    Nebosh course in chennai
    Nebosh courses in chennai
    Nebosh in Chennai
    Nebosh IGC in Chennai
    Iosh Ms in Chennai
    Iosh courses in Chennai

    ReplyDelete