Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I Have Found Such Joy

I have found such joy in simple things;
A plain, clean room, a nut-brown loaf of bread,
A cup of milk, a kettle as it sings,
The shelter of a roof above my head.
And in a leaf-laced square along the floor,
Where yellow sunlight glimmers through the door.
I have found such joy in things that fill
My quiet days: a curtain's blowing grace,
A potted plant upon my windowsill,
A rose, fresh-cut and placed within a vase;
A table cleared, a lamp beside a chair,
And books I long have loved beside me there.
Oh, I have found such joys I wish I might
Tell every woman who goes seeking far
For some elusive, feverish delight,
That very close to home the great joys are:
The elemental things--old as the race,
Yet never, through the ages, commonplace.

--Grace Noll Crowell


This poem is inspiring. It really does capture the simple joys that make my life truly abundant. That make my life beautiful and meaningful.

Most of my days are ordinary. I think it's interesting to think that for most of us, the simple and common days all add up to a full and wonderful life.

I'm waiting for inspiration to come, though. Like in my writing. It really isn't coming. But when I look back, what always seems the most interesting are just the normal kinds of days. So I guess that instead of waiting for something wonderful, some new idea to share, I'll just try to capture the beauties of the everyday.

I hope that's okay.

While Isaac was at his little school this morning, I took the time to meander a bit. My workhorse-cooking grain- pot broke. I picked out a nice one at TG Maxx. Browsing through the clothing and shoe aisle didn't even tempt me.

Then I went over to the bookstore and chose a nice, new journal. My old one was filled. I'm excited to start fresh. This one isn't blank. It has lines. That will be new for me. I also picked up Eat To Live. Another plant based diet book that I'm excited to learn from.
To tired to run today. Haven't felt the desire or done any form of exercise all week. I'm listening to my body and it's been saying "just rest".

While making dinner, I watched Isaac playing a game of chess against himself. "Mom! I'm in check mate!" How cute.

Found this picture of Gary someone must have taken with my camera. He's checking out his new one. That big day needs a picture.

Thought it was nice that Keith and Gary decided to meet on Wednesdays for lunch. What a good idea for them to stay connected.

Also neat that Gary, in his role of supervisor of an Apple rebate support center, in an effort to motivate his employees to show kindness to their customers, came up with an idea (his own creative idea) to make everyone a little yellow chicky warm fuzzy on a card. (He asked to borrow the glue gun yesterday to glue on the googly eyes.) Everyone on his team is pretty "warm and fuzzy" about this motivational reminder.

What a good boy.

Got a big laugh when he came home after having gone from work all the way to his apartment and then all the way back here (a half hour away) just to borrow my cutting board. He is excited to make Jambalaya (a Louisiana Cajun rice dish--my dad is from there and it's a family favorite) for his dinner group. It's his first time making it. He's been calling me to walk it through.

Made this super yum salad for dinner. (I know. It seems like this is turning into a cooking blog.) Massaged Kale and Orange Salad. Wow. Very interesting to massage kale.

Is your mouth watering? Mine totally is.



Yes, I do find joy in the common things. Thanks for sharing my stories.


4 comments:

  1. You write fantastically while waiting for inspiration! I love cooking blogs - you should share some of great dishes as often as you like! I get inspired! Sweet that Gary comes home when he has a need! I hope my kids do when they grow up!
    Today, Grandma Cordner coined a new expressionin the family "More miserable joy or joyfull misery"' the kind we feel when we send our missionaries away!LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right, it is the ordinary things that contribute to an extraordinary life. BTW, the kale salad looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful poem, adorable chess game =) , fun about Gary, and delicious looking salad! Do we get the recipe??? =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, it could only require a little over three years to complete.
    In the same breath, some male therapists get reported by
    female customers who say they (customers) were sexually harassed and handled improperly by their therapists.
    The treatments and care an RT provides to these patients would be drug and oxygen administration to the lungs which may also call for cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
    Here is my blog ; manic depression alternative treatments

    ReplyDelete