Sunday, March 27, 2011

Oompa Loompa Look or Just a Healthy Glow?

This is a little embarrassing to acknowledge to all you folks, but I'm turning a little orange-ish.

~

When Sam sat down on the couch next to me this afternoon and grabbed my hand, interlocking our fingers to hold it (which kind of melted this mom's heart), he said something like, "Oh, my gosh, Mom. Did you put tanning lotion on or something? It's, like, all over your hands!" If he thought about it a little longer, he would have remembered that I'm SO not this type of woman.

~

I swore it didn't do any such thing. He wouldn't believe me. This odd coloration isn't all that bad, mind you. Just kind of apparent in my hands and feet. I thought I might be imagining it. I had heard and read that when your diet is full of fruits and vegetables, especially ones that are high in carotene, sometimes one takes on a "healthy glow". Holding my hands up with the family pretty much confirms this idea.



See for yourself. What do you think?



I guess it's pretty obvious to tell which hand is mine. I checked out what Google had to say. The conclusion: It's harmless. It's not like my eyes are jaundiced, like one with hepatitis. Overall, I'm feeling way good.


It's not like I'm turning into one of these guys.

(at least I hope not!)

~

My mom reminded me that babies often get this look when you give them sweet potatoes and carrots. It's just a condition called "carotenemia", where excess vitamin A that your liver can't store gets dumped into the skin. Most apparent in fair skinned folks; manifesting mostly in the soles of the feet and palms of the hands. Another theory is that it's from the excess bile from cleansing your liver. I guess it does get dangerous when one overloads on vitamin A in supplemental form.

~

Anyway, just an interesting, albeit strange phenomena that's going on with me since upping my fruit and veggie intake.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting! I would look into it! Veggies and fruit are good things, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember some girls in Portugal would eat lots of carrots in the summer to get the perfect tan color.
    Thanks for blogging, Emily, you inspire me:)
    B.t.w. I've been drinking a green smoothie every morning, my digestive system is very happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my - guess you won't need any self tanner this year :)

    ReplyDelete