Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spring Has Sprung!

Let's celebrate! Let's frolic!


How do some very fresh, very light, and very tasty SPRING Rolls sound? You totally have to have some peanut dipping sauce to dunk them in.

Oh, my.

I never tried making these until tonight. Actually, they didn't sound very appealing to me until lately. Pretty boring and tasteless. I thought.

Boy, was I wrong.

You just take the hard, plastic-y looking round wrappers (you can find them at Oriental markets and health food stores) and let them soak in a pie plate full of warm water. It only takes a minute for them to soften up.

Then, the fun begins. Let the kids help. Choose what sounds good. I thinly sliced some Romaine lettuce, shredded some carrots, cooked some rice noodles, and steamed up some beautiful asparagus.


Asparagus is totally spring. I love how the gentle steaming pulls out that glorious green. (Be sure to rinse with cold water to stop the cooking and to keep that color.)

Place all the goodies, about 3 tablespoons or so in the lower part of the wrapper. Fold in the sides and start rolling, tucking firmly as you go. The rice wrapper will adhere to itself, so don't stack them on top of each other.

Now, you've got a salad-in-a-hand!

You just have to have strawberries this time of year, too. Don't you think? On my trip to Costco this morning, I couldn't resist these beauties.

To me and Jane said Sam this afternoon: "These strawberries are on steroids! Yeah, just like 'Berry' Bonds!"

He got a kick out of his own impromptu joke. We all did, actually.

Another sign of spring:


I start turning into a cleaning freak. Well, not really. There's always wishful thinking.
Actually, I do get urges to clean and organize. More at this time of year than any other.

I'm sure it's genetic. Most women have this in their blood. I guess it's just a rite of spring.

When I got home from shopping, I decided, with all the groceries still on the table waiting to be put away, to just clear out the kitchen freezer. It was so random. Not a deep clean, mind you. I should have wiped things down and done a proper job. But there was so much old food and crap bugging me. I couldn't wait any longer.

I put all my nuts and seeds and yeast in one bin. Cooked grains in the other. The sliding drawer (meant for ice trays) now holds bags of cooked white beans. Another sliding drawer holds tortillas and pita and a few other things I want to have nearby. I'm lucky to have another fridge with it's own upper freezer, and a standing chest freezer out in the garage. These things in here are what I want to have a little more handier.

More cleaning and organizing projects will ensue forthwith, I'm sure.

I can't leave this "Welcome Spring" post without showing the first daffodil that popped out just today.

This cheery little fellow makes me so happy. Even as the snow was falling and the wind was howling.


What are you noticing in your neck of the woods that says SPRING to you?

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I randomly cleaned out my fridge from top to bottom last week as well. We're still ages from spring in Idaho, however. It snowed a good deal today. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spring rolls - Sarah do to, especially because they are meatless - she made some onece from her cooking book! Yes, cleaning freezer and organizing was one of my speing impulses - I had to make room for strawberry frozen jam jars - made some earlier just in case my strawberris don't produce much again - I am netting them this year.
    I spot the most beautiful birds in the backyard today. Love the buds in bushes around the yard! Allergies starting to bother everyone in the house (sight)! And my lettuce sprouts are stretching towards the sun in my kitchen window!
    Welcome spring!
    Love the yellow hello at your front porch!
    Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't buy the strawberries at Costco but yes, I do love the bag of peppers. I have also determined that we don't care for peanut or tahini sauce - would you like everything I bought for that?? I had to re-think my eating strategies. I can't buy all that fancy stuff just for me.

    And - I was just outside planting a few flowers :) that says spring to me!

    ReplyDelete