Tuesday, March 1, 2011

when you are pining

Is there something you are pining for? Something you are thinking about or have your eye on or would love to possess? Something you dream about and maybe hope for?

Well, there are lots of things I pine for. Really important things (that are not material things) and not so important things (both material and circumstantial) that I wish for.

I'm in a dilemma. I can't decide if this thing I'm pining for is trivial or not. (Now that I think about it, this and the guitar business, and everything else... it does seem that I'm restless. Maybe I have spring fever. With spring comes expansion, growth, and rebirth. Heck, maybe I'm going through a midlife crisis.) I've been wanting a good camera. I want to take nice pictures. I want to be able to have photos and images that are crisp and sharp, clear, focused when I want to show detail, with beautiful, vivid color and tone. I know that it takes some learning and experience. I think I do have a sense of design with the little high school and college art background that I do have. I've enjoyed learning more as I've developed this blog. I haven't been very satisfied with my point and shoot camera, though. Maybe it would help if I actually learned all of its functions and capabilities. That might help.

I have some blog envy going on, I think. There are so many gorgeous blogs out there. So many talented photographers who don't call themselves professionals. I want to be one of them.

Keith and I meandered over to Best Buy Friday night after dinner out. I wanted to check things out. I have no idea what I want, but Keith has a good foundational background in photography. We checked out the digital SLR cameras. Something like this might fit my needs and suit my fancy.

I left feeling pretty discouraged. Is this huge expense and investment truly justifiable and worth it? Now, I'm not so sure. There are so many other things screaming for financial attention at this time. College for the kids, missions, home projects, car repairs, a new car, woodburning stove, new oven, food storage for economic emergencies, vacations, savings... The list could go on and on.

Maybe I could find something used.

I guess we'll see.

I think this is a lesson and a manifestation in being content in what I have. At least I have a camera.

The other night I was telling Gary about my camera dilema and desires and he told me that he was actually thinking of asking us for money (for his upcoming birthday gift) to go towards one of these SLRs for himself. (To self: "Just breathe and smile. Your time will come.") He told me that he's always wanted one. I know this, truly. He is a very gifted photographer and would love to pursue this hobby and talent more deeply. We both enthusiastically said how fun it would be to have him get his first and then be able to teach me when I get mine. We could be the dynamic duo!

Here's a sampling of some images he took with a pretty regular camera while on his Middle East study abroad two years ago.
There's more where that came from. Just so you know.

2 comments:

  1. Both of you take wonderful photos! Gary has a fotographic eye - there something special there!
    I know, I yearn for a good camera too and the knoledge to go it - mostly to document my kids, my family life! I hear a good fotograph can do great photography with any camera but I guess the tecs of it can really enhance photography!
    It seems a fair desire to me! xoxos

    ReplyDelete
  2. buy the camera. serious. you will love it.

    ReplyDelete