Sunday, April 10, 2011

Daybook for April 10, 2011

Outside my window: I know that spring is really here when I see these in bloom by the front porch. Sad to see that the delicate white blossoms are fringed with black from all the snow and cold temperatures we've had over the weekend. The sun has peeked his head out this afternoon, and that makes me glad.


I am thankful for: the opportunity Gary and I had last night to hear a live performance of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto Number 2. I am so glad I happened to see a flier on the fabric store window announcing it. It was absolutely thrilling to me. Since Gary introduced me to this a few months ago (where has it been all my life?) I haven't stopped listening to it. Then to hear it live, the tears flowing down my cheeks, holding back the urge to sob out loud... it was all so very beautiful. Perhaps the most beautiful music I've ever heard in my life. What a tender mercy.


I am thinking: about what the conductor said about Rachmaninoff. He told how, as a young man in his twenties, he was a piano prodigy and very well known. He wrote his first symphony that was totally rejected, considered a "flop" and subsequently led him into a severe depression. He couldn't write any music for three years, resulting in his concerned family urging him to seek professional psychiatric help. His psychologist's use of "auto suggestive" (positive self talk) therapy helped pull him out of this severe darkness. This concerto, perhaps his greatest masterpiece, was the first thing he wrote and then dedicated to his therapist. Think if he had given up? To know that he had this magnificent ability to create that was always within him, even when he couldn't or wouldn't see it. The light after the darkness. Failure, defeat, then the unparalleled pinnacle of success. What an inspirational story.

In the kitchen: Made this berry crisp to enjoy later tonight. Vegan and everything. Whoo hoo.



I am creating: I spent a large chunk of time getting the library/craft room organized and dejunked on Friday. I've decided to make this room off limits to the kids unless I "allow" access to this room with my key. (I bought a new lockable door knob to replace the old one.) I really want more control. This might seem really harsh, but I'm so tired of this room being a disaster and a dump-all. I think it would be better if I enforced a nightly clean up, but I don't and it just goes to pot. We'll see if this will make a difference.


Anyway, with everything nice and tidy, I got in the mood to sew. I made one and started on another knit skirt to wear this summer. (Two more to cut out.) Also fabric for several peasant blouses for me.





I sewed some simple swags for our bedroom windows. I love this fabric. A knockout deal for an upholstery roll that was only $6 a yard.



Also made some pillows for the two armchairs in our bedroom. These little touches add so much interest and seem to pull the bedroom together.


I am going: to love having this spring break this week to do more projects like these, plus some other organizing duties. Need to hit my bedroom closet and the storage room next.


I am hearing: Gary playing Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata and Debussy's Claire de Lune on the piano. I love it when he does this.


I am hoping: Jane is having a fun (and safe) time on her school California trip.


Around the house: Dinner dishes being done, paper airplanes being folded and thrown.


I am reading: The Ginger Tree by Oswald Wynd.


I am wearing: Got my haircut shorter than I've had it in a very long time. Felt the need, now with ever more gray, to be fresh, sassy, and sleek. I'm really liking it. It feels so me. Also, indulged in getting my eyebrows waxed. A first. Just needing to be a little tamed. Again, where has little trick been been all my life?


One of my favorite things: Keith and I absolutely loved that Jane Eyre movie we saw on Friday. As is much of the case, there were some things they left out from the book and that was a little disappointing, but the film was very well done, such beautiful cinematography, and costuming, all those delicious details I love in these period dramas. I heard a woman who was coming out as we were going in tell someone on her cell phone that this film was really too slow. I looked at Keith and said, "Goody. That means I'll like it." I love slow.


A few plans for the rest of the week: Along with the projects, I'm looking forward to doing some fun things with the kids during this spring break. I think we'll head up to the big city for some fun. Planning on taking the kids to a movie, visiting a wonderful Carl Bloch exhibit showing at the university art museum, taking a tour of that same university that Jane will be attending this fall, and seeing Jane perform a classical Chinese violin piece at the university culture and language fair. Lots to look forward to.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I know that piece of music, I will definitely seek it out and give it a listen.

    You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your hair cut! have a good week with your kiddos :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the new haircut looks great. Some pieces of music carry the mark of their composers' souls! Love the red fabric, just the perfect touch for your room! I always thought you should have same secret gardens in our own homes, maybe the keys would do the trick! Have fun this week!

    ReplyDelete