Monday, April 18, 2011

Easter Week at Our House Part 2

I like to prepare festive foods during the week of Easter. I love baking and I love sharing and I love it when I can bring others joy. I like to make holidays special; making these festivals times of anticipation and expectation. I find it all very satisfying. But sometimes, with all my good intentions and desires, I need to buck up, if you know what I mean. Some years I have it in me to do all this stuff and some years I don't. I think with planning, simplifying, and prioritizing, it can be done. We can pick and choose to do those things that are best; the things that will truly bring ourselves and others joy, making happy memories all the while. This should be the goal. Asking ourselves these questions:



1. Is what I'm doing filling me with peace, love, and joy or is this project adding too much stress, frustration, or resentment?


~

2. Am I striving for happy memories with my children or is my main focus perfection?


~

3. Is there meaningful purpose in this tradition of ours?


~

4. Is there a way we can reach out to others in our holiday observations and celebration?


~

For the last three or four years, I've loved making these Hot Cross Buns on Good Friday. I truly enjoy the baking part and I like the symbolism and teaching moment this provides for my children. This has been a meaningful tradition. I like to set the table nicely for a special "tea time" late in the afternoon. Sometimes Keith comes home early from work. We sit down and enjoy these by candlelight, sipping some cocoa or peppermint tea from our mugs. We talk about Christ's crucifixion and death. I display a iron railroad stake on a piece of white linen cloth. We read from scripture and might read a children's book that talks about death and hope and resurrection. This is a special, spiritual time for our family.


~

Also in the days leading up to Easter Sunday, I enjoy preparing festive treats like these. In the past, I've enjoyed putting special baskets together to deliver to friends, family, and others who might need a little remembering. It is something that makes me happy. It's a chance to reach out to others and not just think of ourselves during this holiday time. The children and I like to work together, making the treats side by side in the kitchen, wrapping the goodies in cellophane bags with colorful ribbon bows, putting the baskets together, and doing the delivering. This year, the treats may or may not be healthified a bit. I'm not sure to what extent this will happen. We'll see!


~

3 comments:

  1. Hummy gifts! We should know! I love your cross buns - and the traditions that go with it. The pondering questions are just the thing too! xoxos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should post the recipes for these yummy treats! :)

    ReplyDelete