Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Gratitude Wednesday

So thankful for this person right here...


~

Bouncing baby boy, all 10 and a half pounds of chunky, adorable sweetness, came into this world 15 years ago.

~

Where has the time gone?

~

Making his day special was a joy for me. A pure joy.

Got up extra early to surprise him with a candy card. I don't think I've ever done this before. I had to be creative with this one.

~

We called all the kids and crept down to his room to wake him to a rousing (Well, we tried.) version of "Happy Birthday To You!"

~

A box of (twice yearly- birthdays and Christmas) sweetened cereal for his breakfast. Fruity Pebbles was his choice. A season ticket see to the college football team he loves was his gift.

~

Then, later, I got the feeling that I needed to do more surprises. It's weird, but I felt so compelled. I wanted to do something totally unexpected to make him feel loved and special. A big surprise.

~

Before he left out the door this morning, he told me he forgot to make his lunch. (I was hoping he would.) So, as lunch time neared, I decided to pick up a foot long Subway I knew he'd like, stopped at the local donut shop and bought a dozen donuts for him to share with friends, and a Happy Birthday mylar balloon to add a festive flair. I got to school right before the lunch period began.

~

Low and behold, as I was standing waiting and searching faces in the hall, I noticed a woman that looked like she might be Robin Openshaw, also known as the "Green Smoothie Girl". Multiple book writer, popular website and blogger celebrity. (I've referenced her a lot here. She a local, was a founding board member of my kids' school, and was visiting the school with her daughter. I'd never met her before.)

~

This was just too funny. Here I was telling her how much she's inspired me in my journey to understand nutrition, how her ideas have helped changed my life, etc, etc. I even told her how she was in a dream I had two nights ago, pretty much the same conversation as I was having with her now. She made small talk and was very cordial.

~

Well, there I was with my arms holding those donuts.


~

It was awkward. I told her that these were for my son's birthday, the son who I know feels like his mother is becoming a health freak. Do you know what, I didn't even care what she thought. I really didn't get the feeling that she was judging me and those donuts. Doing this once a year stuff for him made me so happy. (She even expressed this idea.) Walking into his school to surprise him like that made me feel like sobbing for joy; I was that excited.

~

Meeting her in this situation didn't change my happiness in the least. I knew I was speaking his love language.

~

Knowing that he knows how much I enforce and encourage health and good nutrition for myself and the kids, then to see how I could just chuck it all for the day and let loose...

~

Well, I think it was what he needed from me. Especially when I saw that awed-look and wide grin on his face from this morning, later at his school, and then tonight. It's pretty ironic, pretty interesting, maybe a lesson needing to be taught to me in "coincidentally" having this interaction with this health guru, the "Green Smoothie Girl".

~

We took him out for Mexican last night to celebrate. It's his favorite. He could live on corn chips and cheddar cheese. (I try my best not to let him.)

~

(A note: I quietly ordered my fajitas with no meat to everyone's surprise and astonishment. There was the expected questioning, "What are fajitas without the meat, Emily, Mom?" It was okay. My dad, whom I haven't had the opportunity to talk to about my recent changes, and after I told him more of what I'm learning and trying to achieve, conveyed his respect and honest agreement with it all. That brought a sense of relief.)

I love you, Sammy. You've taught me so much. You are teaching me how to love. What it means to love.


~


Seeing you smile. Having you come up to me out of the blue to hug me, to massage my shoulders. I loved how when we drove by the Ackerman's house (an elderly neighbor couple) on our way home from the restaurant, you seeing their full garbage bin getting blown over in the wind, and saying, "Mom, I think we should turn around and go pick it up." Watching you run, in your flip floppy way, seeing how tall you're getting, seeing that doing good for others is now becoming part of your nature. All this makes my heart swell.


~


So thankful that you're you.

2 comments:

  1. ah, that is too funny. sounds like you had a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh!That was funny - you that try to avoid refined sugars - glad it didn't bother you - you are a grown woman! It looks like Sam had a blast loving day! Happy Birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete