Friday, April 1, 2011

Singing, Really Singing


"We lead extremely busy lives. Even though we do not have to do as much manual labor as people in former times, we never seem to have enough time for ourselves. I know people who say they do not even have enough time to eat or breathe, and it appears to me to be true! What can we do about this? Can we take hold of time with both hands and slow it down?


First, let us light the torch of our awareness and learn again how to drink tea, eat, wash dishes, walk, sit, drive, and work in awareness. We do not have to be swept along by circumstances. We are not just a leaf or a log in a rushing river. With awareness, each of our daily acts takes on a new meaning, and we discover that we are more than just machines, that our activities are not just mindless repetitions. We find that life is a miracle, the universe is a miracle, and we too are a miracle.


When we are invaded by confusion and dispersion, we can ask ourselves, "What exactly am I doing right now? Am I wasting my life?" These questions immediately relight our awareness and return our attention to our breathing. A small smile naturally appears on our lips, and each second of our work becomes alive. If you want to sing, please sing! Really sing!"


~From the Wisdom of Thich Nhat Hanh

2 comments:

  1. you know - I think the phrase " I don't have time" is a cop out. There are 24 hours in a day. It all boils down to priorities and self-control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Be still" works for me! I believe our lives should be spent in behalf of others so we can gain our true selfs. Whatever it is, will never be wasted because then our core is rooted on becoming. I can't count the amount of menial things I do for others, some that I didn't choose to do in first place that have brought me rewarding strenght to my character and fortitude! I then ponder not the "If" but the "How"! Doubt nevertheless is been a periodical visitor in this journey of human nature!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete