Monday, July 25, 2011

a "I Need To Do Something With All These Veggies" chopped salad

Do you sometimes feel like your fridge is filled with so many vegetables and you want to use them up before they go bad?

Or, maybe your garden is producing more than you can keep up with?


Well, I've got an idea for you. A tasty, addictive idea. I'm finding myself bringing in armloads of yellow and zucchini squash from the garden these days, as well as wanting to utilize all the other store bought produce that I had hanging out in the refrigerator.  

This isn't really a recipe, folks. It's more of an idea or concept. I decided to chop up everything that sounded good, or needed to be used up. Flexibility is what we're talking about. Here's what I used this time:

napa cabbage
broccoli
red bell pepper
grated carrot
green onion
zucchini
yellow summer squash
a handful of sunflower seeds


I tossed it with this simple dressing:

1 cup olive oil (I used half extra virgin and half light olive oil)
1/2 cup vinegar (I used 1/4 cup brown rice vinegar and 1/4 freshly squeezed lemon juice)
1/4 cup honey
salt and pepper to taste

(This made a lot of dressing. I think I only used half the amount and the rest was saved for another salad(s).)



The amount of veggies can vary. I ended up making a huge bowl that I knew would be devoured over the weekend. And it was. I loved it so much that I ate a big bowl for breakfast on Saturday morning. For lunch yesterday, I stirred in some black beans for a little protein boost. Oh, another tip: I find this seems to like being eaten with a spoon instead of a fork.

I can't tell you how delicious this simple salad was to me. It just seemed to work. I think it tasted even better a day later. Kind of nice to get out of the "lettuce rut" salads I sometimes find myself in. And, a good way to bring in more raw, vibrant, fiber-rich veggies into my diet.


3 comments:

  1. hmmm, very yum. my zucchini should be ready this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it. Full of fiber and antioxidants! For me a perfect veggie salad!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly what I needed to read today as my fridge is bulging with garden veggies. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete