Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Monument to Women

While in Nauvoo, Illinois, I took some time to wander through a special sculpture garden, A Monument to Women:

"In an age of heightened interest in the role of women, the Nauvoo garden of sculptures is dedicated to women of the past, present, and future. The statues, which were dedicated in 1976, identify some of the significant dimensions of a woman’s life. The memorial consists of a heroic central sculpture of a woman, enhanced by twelve life-sized figures expressing the widely varied nature of women’s vital roles in society. The display may well be the largest commissioned display of sculpture in the world dedicated to women."
What a sweet and touching experience for me.

I'm so glad, so proud I'm a woman.


Woman


Woman in Prayer
Compassionate Woman
Woman Learning
Woman and Her Talents

Courtship For Eternity

In The Family Circle

Joyful Moment

Preparing Her Son

In Her Mother's Footsteps

Teaching With Love

Fulfillment

6 comments:

  1. These pictures are lovely! I haven't ever seen the details on the sculptures before as the only pictures I've seen are from afar.

    I sent you an e-mail about this beautiful post. It's coming from {chocolateonmycranium at live dot com} so please check you spam folder if you don't see it in your inbox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chocolate! I didn't seem to get your email either in my spam folder or in my regular inbox. I'd love you to try sending it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Emily!

    I enjoyed your pictures of the Nauvoo Sculpture garden. Now a question . . . for our Women's Conference, our theme has to do with the different roles of women. We would like to make poster-size prints of the sculptures but I'm having problems finding photos that aren't pixelated at that size. I've contacted Nauvoo and they can't help me.

    First, would I be able to use your images and, second, do you know if they could be blown up to poster size?

    Would appreciate any advice or help you might be able to give me!

    Thanks,

    Cindy Johnson
    Fullerton Stake
    Relief Society

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Emily!

    I enjoyed your pictures of the Nauvoo Sculpture garden. Now a question . . . for our Women's Conference, our theme has to do with the different roles of women. We would like to make poster-size prints of the sculptures but I'm having problems finding photos that aren't pixelated at that size. I've contacted Nauvoo and they can't help me.

    First, would I be able to use your images and, second, do you know if they could be blown up to poster size?

    Would appreciate any advice or help you might be able to give me!

    Thanks,

    Cindy Johnson
    Fullerton Stake
    Relief Society

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily,

    I just discovered your BlogSpot while searching for pictures of the Monument to Women. I have had so much fun looking at some of your other pages. Something about your pictures give me such a feeling of peace and tranquility-I am sure that your home must reflect that peace.

    Do you or will you make your pictures available for purchase? I wrote a tribute to my Grandmothers and Granddaughters based on the statues in 1973 and wanted to include it in a little booklet I am giving to my granddaughters as we celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. I just wanted to be able to show them what the statues are that I am referring to since many have not seen them. Perhaps I can just refer them to your blog.

    Thanks,

    Sonja Hansen

    Thanks for an uplifting

    ReplyDelete