Thursday, July 21, 2011

season for homemade ice cream

 Hot summer days call for cold creamy treats, don't you think? 

Last month, while browsing the aisles of Costco, I spied this Cuisinart countertop ice cream/frozen yogurt maker. It wouldn't leave my mind. It was calling my name.

It's not like I don't already have your standard, large ice cream maker that seems to make the whole process somewhat of a production with all that ice and rock salt and constant watching. Making homemade ice cream a handful of times throughout the summer has always been something we look forward to. A tradition, if you will. I also like the fact that there aren't any questionable ingredients when you make your own ice cream. Everything pure, simple, and wholesome. 

Anyway, this counter top model was a temptation for me. I got sucked into the "available for a limited time only" pressure that I usually ignore while doing my Costco runs, but I knew this little appliance would really make the whole process a lot more convenient. Kind of justified it also with the fact that our traditional model was getting a little beat up and almost on its last leg. (bent can, cracked paddle).

I find myself occasionally picking up a little carton of dairy-free ice cream at the health food store when I know the rest of the family will eat theirs; like on birthdays, holidays, or Sunday nights. I'm amazed at what I pay and I always tell myself, "You know you could make this if you wanted to." It's hard being the only one who doesn't do dairy when rest of the family does and you still want a little dish of ice cream. (Can you tell that I'm talking myself into this, big time?)

Well, I forked out the $39.99, and I don't regret it.  


In my blender, I mixed up some almond milk, coconut milk, agave, a capful of vanilla, and some cinnamon. Oh, and a little salt. I poured it all into the freezer bowl, ( liquid filled, double insulated, stuck in the freezer until frozen solid. Makes 1 and 1/2 quarts) put the lid on, and pushed the "on" button. After 20-30 minutes, Isaac, who never left his bar stool perch, announced that it was good and thick. What a breeze! So easy! Almost instantaneous satisfaction! I poured it into a lidded container and set it in the deep freeze until it was time to dig in. (After dinner, of course!) 

Without the cinnamon, this could be a good base for other flavors. Maybe fruit, maybe chocolate, maybe nuts. Lots of possibilities.

I think we have a new toy around here. Sam announced that he wants to be the ice cream man come Sunday.    

5 comments:

  1. hmmm, now I am tempted! It looks good and fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought one of these machines, too, about 3 years ago because I didn't want my kids eating commercial ice cream. It's so simple. I have the extra freezing container so there is always one ready to use in the freezer. I personally dislike ice cream, but my family loves it. Fresh strawberry is the family favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hard time passing up small kitchen appliances, too. We have a Salton ice cream maker, but, admittedly, I use my VitaMix for all our fruit ice cream now. I do love your recipe, though, and may give it a shot in the more traditional machine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! Looks like that icecream maker will be a good conversation starter for the kids, always under the good vigilance of Issac (LOL)! I knew you probably find a dairy free recipe when you talk about making ice cream this summer. It seems a ggod one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I'm Jill Heaps sister and found your blog from her. We love Homemade Icecream and are always looking for healthy recipes. What is the exact measurements you used. Would love to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete