Friday, July 1, 2011

South Dakota~ Mount Rushmore and More


June 29

Those prairie grasslands seem to go on forever. A sea of still serenity.When I went out to take a few photos, a mother antelope and her sweet little baby came bounding into view. So surprised to see them curiously coming closer to the car. Just like they wanted their picture taken.


The Black Hills, with those jutting needle-rock formations and ponderosa pine forests, emerged into view on that endlessly flat plain. 

It was a definite thrill when we approached that awe-inspiring national icon, Mount Rushmore.


After our time at Mount Rushmore and were on the road towards Rapid City, I saw this little Scandinavian shop off to the side of the road and just had to stop. So many interesting things to see. I just loved this store. Bought some Christmas advent candles and a book to add to our collection of the Swedish Flicka, Dicka, and Ricka and Snip, Snap, and Snurr children's series books. I've found these hard to locate.



Some of the kids needed to "use the bathroom". The store's authentic outhouse was the only available option.  An interesting experience that doesn't happen everyday.






3 comments:

  1. oh, I am loving your on the road post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great experiences! I love the authentic colonial sweden shop! What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding me of those three cute little girls Flicka, Dicka, and Ricka. I loved checking out books in the series when I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete