Friday, July 29, 2011

sprouting fun

Sprouting has always seemed so intimidating to me. I've always known the health benefits to sprouting, but felt like it all was too complicated. After attending that sprouting class last week, tasting some great recipes, (and being surprised at how delicious they were) and craving them ever since, I've become motivated to try my hand at it.

Did you know that you can even sprout nuts like almonds? It's really easy, friends.


In a large bowl, I placed 8 cups of almonds and covered them, 2-3 times the amount, with water. I left them on my counter top overnight.


Sprouted almonds don't produce a "tail" or noticeable sprout after soaking. They do swell up, though. See?

I took my almost overflowing bowl over to the sink and dumped them into a colander. I gave them a good rinse, too.


The sprouted almonds are now:

1. Alive at the peak of nutrition, just like a germinated seed is.
2. Activated with enzymes to help them digest even better, making the protein, fat, and minerals easier for the body to assimilate.
3. Allows an increase of the available vitamins, especially the B complex.
4. Some say it lowers the fat content. (But this fat is a good fat.)
5. Ups the pH of the almond, making them even more alkaline for the body. (Almonds are already very alkalizing to the body) And that's a good state for the body to be in.

After soaking and rinsing, I could just put my almonds in the fridge to keep them fresh. (They could mold if I don't.) To crisp them up, but still keep them with all the properties that sprouting provided, I placed them in my dehydrator, set it to 105 degrees F. and let them gently dry out for 12 hours or until fairly crunchy. It's best to store them in the refrigerator at this point (again the mold possibility.)

How to use them? Well, I plan on using them just like I do when they aren't sprouted. I can whiz them up in my blender with water to make almond milk. I can grab a handful for a snack. I can chop them up and add them to just about anything that calls for almonds.

A couple of days ago, I purchased some mini Sprout Master trays, along with some whole oat grouts, ProVita Mix, (a  blend of lentils, peas, adzuki, fenugreek, triticale, mung, and wheat) and also some alfalfa seeds. These trays make it really easy. I let the seeds soak in a bowl of water, (specific time for each seed) rinsed them, placed them in the tray, covering and rinsing two times a day (completed sprout stage, again, as indicated with each seed.)

It's been so fun to check on my little babies. To see the progress beginning with the little "tail" sprouts emerging. These will be a great addition to my salad repertoire. The oats will taste good blended into my smoothies or chopped up in a bowl for breakfast. Lots of possibilities abounding here.

I'm excited to implement this practice. Also glad to find a  source of fresh, enzyme/vitamin rich food for my family's long term food storage needs.

More experimenting to come! 


3 comments:

  1. Great know how for sprouting! I loved to read all this! Do you only eat them raw to maxime nutricional value or can you lightly cook them into veggie sautee w/ pastas and rice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, where do you buy your almonds - and what exactly are you buying - raw almonds, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your sprouting. I always sprout my almonds before making almond milk. I have dehydrated sprouted nuts before, too, with a lovely spice mix all over them. I love the compartmentalization of those sprouting trays! It is really exciting doing this on your own and watching the foods transform. Much cheaper, too!

    ReplyDelete