Monday, August 1, 2011

Daybook for August 1, 2011


Outside my window: cloudy, overcast skies. Cooler temperatures. I love summer days like this, don't you? Happy first day of August!

I am thankful for: the sweet Sunday we had yesterday. Gary came over for church, stayed for dinner, and lingered until late. Lots of good talk and laughter. A good feeling here. He told us all about the beautiful and inspiring Jesus symbolism in the new Harry Potter movie. He was so animated, so enthused, sharing that with me. Then, Keith came home from Grandpa's since he left on Wednesday. Nice to have us all back together again.

I am thinking: how nourishing it is to have friendships with older women; women that could be my mom. Phyllis spontaneously called on Friday and wanted to take me to get ice cream. The age difference doesn't make a difference in our relationship, our talk, our sharing. Then, later on that night, Marilyn, another older neighbor, came by to give me a beautifully bound copy of a collection of poems she's written and illustrated (almost a poem a day) since the mid 80's. I got tears in my eyes, so happy for Marilyn's dream come true and hard work coming to fruition. I can't put the book down. It's been so touching to peek into the quiet thoughts and heart-soul of this woman. Friendship with all sorts of people is something I cherish.

In the kitchen: Last night's dinner was lemon peppered chicken (for the meat eaters), "Portuguese rice",(what we call rice sauteed with onions and garlic, cooked with a can of tomatoes and pinto beans), vegetable stir fry, and a vegan oatmeal banana chocolate chip cake. Yum-o.

I am creating: I got Jane's quilt back from the woman I had do the machine quilting. I'm ready to sit down and attach the binding to it and then it will be completed!

I am going: to have to beg someone to go scoop up and dispose of the garden snake that Gary whacked yesterday with the shovel. He said it's insides were chock full of slugs. Thanks Gary, for saving your mom from a fright, and thanks snake for taking care of the slugs. 

I am hearing: the kitchen ceiling fan whirring away. Still quiet, as everyone else is still sleeping.

I am hoping: that my ribs can start to feel better. It seems like the pain has eased up, but there's still just this ache in the front and through my back that keeps lingering. It was especially hard to sit though three hours of church services yesterday. Had to get up and stand in the back. Seems like I'm back to the same routine, as far as my activities go, (all except the running and weightlifting. I just don't have it in me yet.) but staying in that same position like that was too much. I think this is going to take some time.

Around the house: Boy, we've been busy bees around here lately. (or I should say the kids have been busy bees.) They've been doing lots jobs that have been neglected. We've: cleaned both fridges, cleaned the stove top, cleaned blinds and washed walls, took down to wash the kitchen curtains that were filthy, cleaned and organized kitchen drawers and the lazy Susan, pulled weeds, cut down unwanted sapling tree sprouts, mowed lawns... The front door and the wicker rockers (this one was Keith's great-grandmother's) even have a new coat of paint. This all feels so good.


One thing that's motivated us is having Canadians Renee and her husband Damien, a connection I've formed through the blogging world, come to stay with us for a few nights as they attend the Outdoor Retailer's Expo in Salt Lake City. So excited to finally meet and talk with Renee in real life.

I am reading: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand (looked like something I would like, but just can't get into it.) Anger by my beloved Thich Nhat Hanh, a stack of vegan cookbooks, Marilyn's poems. Studying deeply Herbal Home Health Care by John R. Christopher as part of my recent enrollment in the School of Natural Healing's Family Herbalist course.

I am wearing: purple knit capri jammies.

One of my favorite things: cold cotton sheets to slip into at the end of a long day, kids that know how to work, the freshness after a getting a haircut.

A few plans for the rest of the week: more cleaning, laundry, weeding, grocery shopping like always. Hosting the Tougas's, Isaac and Eliza's new school teachers are coming over to visit with us this week. Wanting to go to a quilt show at the Springville Art Museum. Maybe take the kids to the pool. Back-to-School uniform shopping, date night, and a trip to the amusement park for Gary and Sam all on the weekend. 

2 comments:

  1. It seemed like the summer days are slidding easier. It is great to have older friends - I love to have Rose Anderson near by and Andria and Shirley Joinner! Check Rose's Mom conversion story in Oslo in the August's Emsign! I hope you have a great visit with your friends from Canada. I won't mentioned snakes and slugs! Great things to do and I am excited to see Jane's quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so much to comment on for this post. i don't know where to start! how exciting - hosting a blogger!! I've met one bloggy friend at the airport once. It was so fun. I am glad you are on the mend. I would take my time getting back to running.

    Have a good week!!

    ReplyDelete