Monday, August 29, 2011

Daybook for August 29, 2011

Outside my window: A beautiful blue cloudless sky. You wouldn't know it after last night's thunder storm.

I am thankful for: my family, including my parents, all gathered here in our home last night. We were also blessed to have our good friends, the Covington's stop over for a visit before they head back to New York City for the continuation of Niki's classical art studies. Niki was Eliza's beloved art teacher and mentor.  I love it when our house is filled with loved ones. (More on that later.)

I am thinking: that this story is too good to not pass on to you. I've still got the giggles. The other day before Jane moved out, she was waiting on campus for me to pick her up. She was sitting by herself on a bench opposite another empty bench. Probably 15 feet across from each other. Anyway, she noticed a student of the male gender approaching and he sat down across from her. Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed him zero-ing in on her. Intently, mind you. Looking away, but still seeing him, Jane saw him discreetly take out a stick of deodorant out of his backpack, glance around, checking to see that no one was watching, and thus proceeding to swipe both armpits. Jane just about died. How could she not take her eyes off him at this point. Noticing her looking at him, he smiled, got up off the bench and started walking toward her bench, intending to sit next to her. (THAT WAS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE DEODORANT! GET IT?) Unfortunately, at the same time he was on his way over, an older woman walked up and sat down next to Jane.  He lost his chance.

This is classic.




In the kitchen: I knew we'd be having people over yesterday, so I went the extra mile with my cooking duties. Used up a lot of stuff from the garden, too. All of it delicious, I might add.

cranberry juice blend homemade soda
tomato-basil bruschetta
Mediterranean inspired salad of lentil, barley, roasted eggplant and summer squash
baked tofu, kale, and cranberry saute
broiled lemon Tilapia
Basmati rice
watermelon

and to top it off:

a raw (frozen) berry cheesecake pie 



I am creating: my list of goals, plans, and intentions for fall. (I'll share this with you, soon.)

I am going: to hop in the shower in a minute.

I am hearing: on the very handy on-line Grooveshark, Foster the People's Pumped Up Kicks. My kids think it's weird that I like this.

I am hoping: all my east coast friends have been kept safe with the hurricane going through the area.

Around the house: One of the the things I've wanted to be more consistent in is opening my home up to hospitality. I have lots of happy memories growing up in a family which frequently hosted guests for dinner. As Keith and I have built our own home traditions over the years, I've really enjoyed having people over to visit, to share food, conversation and laughter. I'd really like to commit to having family or friends over at least two times in the month. I have the time, the space, the means, and the desire to do this. I think it's not only important, but fun, too.  It most likely will be Sundays, but maybe Friday or Saturday would work. I already have made it clear to Jane and Gary that their roommates are welcome to join us for dinner. I can see that happening. We love having our family over, too. I'm toying around lots of ideas to show hospitality to lots of different people- maybe extending special invites, or the idea of an open invitation to a shared potluck... I'm looking forward to see how things pan out.




I am reading: Tales of a Female Nomad and Breathe Life Into Your Life Story. Really enjoying this past week's library stack. 

I am wearing: sweaty gray tee and blue running shorts

One of my favorite things: reading and loving and appreciating each of your sweet comments. Thanks for taking the time to be here, friends. And for letting me know it!

A few plans for the rest of the week: starting up piano lessons with Mama (my mom) and Isaac again.  Participating with other women in a "Sister Power Hour", cleaning a very pregnant neighbor's home as she prepares to move. Maybe spend the day at the local storytelling festival. Starting my new hour and a half library volunteer job at the kid's school on Friday, sorting shelves and helping 2nd and 3rd graders find books. Looking forward to a weekend overnighter with Keith.

6 comments:

  1. I love that Pumped Up Kicks too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. so much. i don't know how to comment :) we talked about hospitality too this weekend. we need to open our house more. the introvert in me finds that hard though. (something to work on) looking forward to reading your fall goals and intentions post. i am still working on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, hilarious that campus story! It seems like you'll have plenty to do with your time - and lots of good things too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that deodorant story with Jane! Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just posted on my blog and then realized that I totally copied your format from this post. I hope you don't mind. I just love reading your blog. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son might just have to use that deodorant bit in a film short - hilarious! And that poor kid has no clue!

    ReplyDelete