Thursday, August 11, 2011

in the studio...and beyond

Boy, this week's been jam packed. It seems like I'm nearing crunch time. A lot of deadlines and happenings and preparations going on here at home. Can I share?

For one thing, there's a birthday buzz in the air. Isaac will be celebrating his birthday on Tuesday and a Lego Birthday Bash is in the works. Today, we worked on the invitations. (Inspiration here. )Jane helped me assemble and cut, Isaac directed and peeled tiny rectangle bump sticker raising things, and Sam helped me format the party information on the computer for the inside of the invite. Yes, it seems like whenever we have a party, it's a family affair. And I think that's the way it should be.

After the party, expect a detailed report. Lots of fun and cute stuff planned.


Kind of looks goofy with the Picasa editing smudges, but I think you get the gist.

Harvested a bunch of cucumbers this morning. More than I knew what to do with. Decided to try my hand at lacto-fermented/pickled cucumbers from Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions book. Kind of nervous to see if they turn out, with no water bath processing and all. Keeping my fingers crossed that they don't spoil.

Spent almost the entire day yesterday Back-To-School shopping. Since the kids are in uniforms, it sure makes things easier. Then it was shoes, a stop for lunch, more shoes, and finally, school supplies. I'm glad I only have to do this kind of shopping (all kids in tow, all needing stuff all at one time) once a year. The money is flying out left and right around here, I'll tell you that. Geesh.


Getting back to the studio talk, I'm proud to announce that Jane's dorm bed ensemble is now complete! Whew... I got the binding done Tuesday afternoon poolside (I got some strange stares, me fully dressed in the heat with a quilt all over my lap.) while the kids were enjoying these last days of vacation swimming at the community center. Today I pulled out some leftovers and put together some throw pillows. Cute little accents always pull things together, you know?

I'm just so happy I got this done. It was one of my major goals of the summer. I'm so pleased with the way it came out.

Poor Jane's in transition mode. Still desperately trying to find a job, diligently searching, waiting to hear back, and even going to an interview on Tuesday that we thought was so promising. She needs and wants a part time campus job so badly. Everything's starting to hit home that she really is leaving us. She's trying to keep positive and stay busy. Tonight, while I was finishing up the pillows, she offered to make dinner.


She's such a great cook. I feel like she's my own personal chef.

I'll miss that.

2 comments:

  1. love the quilt. the fabric combo is so perfect. this fall I would like to make one for our bed.

    dinner = yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane is blooming all kind of talents! Isaac invitations are so creative - B-days should be a family affair, you guys do them so well - these celebrations. I simply loved her quilt and the pillows are just as gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete