Wednesday, August 31, 2011

joining the real world


They talked me into it. A little forcefully, if I might add. "You need to be part of the modern age, Mom. This is the 21st century." People look at me like I'm an idiot when I tell them I don't have one. It's kind of embarrassing.

I know, I know. At one time, maybe for a couple months or so, I did own a cell phone. A cheapo Tracfone from Walmart that I always forgot to take with me. Never used up the minutes on my calling card. I was okay that Keith had one that the kids could call when we'd go out. Like for emergencies and stuff.

I guess technology scares me. We were just fine without cell phones for thousands of years.  I just don't see the need. Just call me on my real phone, e-mail me, Facebook me, call Keith--he has one (smile), or just come over and speak to me in real life. Blah blah blah...  Then, there is that unforgettable memory when my car broke down on the freeway one time. With three little kids in tow. I was stranded. I know, it's stupid. I think it's my rebellious streak coming through.

Our teens never had nor have cell phones. Deprived, I know. But now that Jane is in college, of course it's necessary that she has a way to communicate. Gary's had one for a while now. He's hip.

So we went to the T-Mobile store yesterday. Gary, Jane, and I joined a "family plan". (That's the best deal, Mom.) Came home with the cheapest one. Have no idea how the thing works. Overwhelmed with it all. I've never texted in my life. I won't even venture there, I'm telling myself. Gary spent some time programming the thing, and offered encouragement to this technophobic apprehensive mother of his.

"Get over it, Mom."

I think I just might.


4 comments:

  1. okay, i have a cell phone. 2 out 3 kids have one. we text each other a lot. can we still be friends?

    i do forget mine though quite a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I was the only one! I used to have a cell phone when I was working and going to school and running around all the time. I don't feel like I really need one now and have been without for four years. I get the funniest looks when I tell people that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had one quite a while, but it's the dumb, I mean simple, kind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just think of texting as facebook for your phone. Its a great way to touch base with your kids, and for some reason they are far more likely to text than call.

    ReplyDelete