Friday, August 12, 2011

season of the summer novel



Who am I kidding. You'll find me reading a novel (and there are many) any old season of the year. Summer just seems to have more lazy, empty "too hot to do anything" afternoons. There's time to pull out a book on vacation. Or at the beach. Or poolside. 

The kids are definitely having more time to read these days. Which is good. Which I like. It's been a marathon of Harry Potter lately. With them each reading almost a book a day, it's been hard to keep things stocked.

At the urging of Jane, I came home from Costco (a great place to buy books, by the way. It seems like I'm given more to temptation by spending money there than at Barnes and Noble.) on Monday with The Help. Just too long of a wait being number 16 on the library's to-hold list.

I'd heard such good things about this book. It seemed like everyone I knew was reading it. As it is most of the time, if something is popular, the rebel in me doesn't get sucked in to much of the hype. I just didn't feel the pull. 

Well, I'm so glad Jane suggested getting it. We've been trading off taking turns with it. Since Keith has been gone again this week taking care of his dad, it's been easier for me to stay up late or get up at 5:00 am when my eyeballs pop open, turn on the lamp, snuggle in the sheets, open up my book, and read to my heart's content.

I love this book. Such characterization. Such attention to detail. I can't seem to put it down. Where have I been all this time?

Now, I hardly ever go to movies. (Not counting last week's Winnie the Pooh date with Isaac.) Since The Help just came to theaters on Wednesday, I decided to do something I almost never do.

See the movie before reading (or finishing) the book.

I'm excited. Bought tickets on Fandango for tonight. I've watched the trailers. The characters, especially the "help" ladies, are just like what I've pictured in my mind.

Have any of you read this book? What did you think?
Have you seen the movie yet?
What is the your favorite novel of the summer? 

4 comments:

  1. I love that book when I read last year - so many parallels to what I knew to be between the women in Africa and their women servants. Strong characters! - Writing of women for women and men for that matter! I am glad the movie is coming out- Nice girls outting, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I liked the movie better than the book and that almost never happens. I don't think Celia is very realistic, although I do think there are strained/cliquey relationships in women's circles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, you convinced me. I have a costco trip in my near future. I'll buy the book. It seems as if I am the only one that has not read it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read this. I just went and reserved a copy through our library system and I'm #660 - ha! Granted, there are 158 copies in our system, but I think I'll have to go buy it!

    ReplyDelete