Saturday, August 13, 2011

Southwestern Rice Salad


This is such a great salad. I threw this together on the 4th of July in Sara's Wisconsin kitchen. Used up what was in the fridge and in the pantry. Kind of made it up as I went.

This afternoon, I brought a big bowl to share at a neighborhood potluck. Very yum and popular. I got compliments, even. Main dish salads are so welcoming in the summertime when you just don't feel like standing over a hot stove or eating hot, heavy dishes.  

Again, like a lot of the recipes I share here, I don't have the exact proportions to give you. It's more of an idea. It's just an "as you go" kind of creation.

Salad ingredients:

cold cooked brown rice
tomatoes, diced
yellow and orange bell peppers, diced
green onions, chopped
yellow sweet corn (I just use frozen corn placed in a colander to drain with hot water running over it. Kind of cooks it.)
black olives, sliced (I forgot this time)
black beans
a handful of chopped parsley or cilantro

Dressing:

freshly squeezed lime juice
Vegenaise or mayonnaise to moisten
taco seasoning
cayenne powder (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Garnish options:

plate on a bed of greens
serve with fresh slices of avocado on the side
corn chips or strips sprinkled on top

I know you're going to like this, friends!

4 comments:

  1. Love it! Where do you get the vegenaise? I made my true vegan brownies ever and I love them (No eggs) I coudln't believe how moisty they were! It is a great idea to cook brown rice ahead to have handy. You so much imoroved the nutrition of my family! Thanks for sharing all this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just may make this today! thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good....I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete