Wednesday, August 24, 2011

yesterday...and a yum breakfast recipe



Yesterday was a hard day, but like always, it had its good points.

I packed good school lunches.
I tucked love notes in, even.
I dropped kids off.
I drove home feeling so empty.
And a little lost.
Don't know what to do with myself.
This is so weird.
I did the breakfast dishes.
I swept the floor.
Spent too much time on the computer.
Poor Keith listened to my little sob story (yes, there was a fair amount of real sobbing along with the talking) when he called me at lunchtime.
I ate my lunch on top of my bed while watching my Chinese movies.
Ate too many cookies.
Loved Isaac's tight hug when he got home.
Fixed a huge bowl of popcorn for the kids for an after school snack.
(I'm trying to be a good mom.)
Got a haircut.
Loving this real short hair.
Snuggled with Jane on my bed later that night.
We talked about important stuff. 
Uncomfortable things that are sometimes hard to talk about but  wasn't really uncomfortable at all. 
And that made me so happy.
She's moves out tomorrow.
 Hasn't started packing.
We're in denial.

Today's a new day.
Made a good breakfast.
Taking pictures of my food makes me happy.
Maybe I'll do that when I grow up.
I think I'll go to the quilt show after I drop off Jane at work.
It's in the same neighborhood, after all.
Maybe I'll treat myself to lunch.
Why do I feel guilty about that?
Gotta keep my mind off stuff, I guess.

Raw Buckwheat Porridge (from the Oh She Glows vegan cooking blog. It's a fave.)

2 cups raw buckwheat grouts, soaked in water for a minimum of 1 hour or overnight)
1 1/4 cup-1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
2 T. chia seeds
1/4 cup liquid sweetener to taste
pinch of salt
1 t. vanilla
1 t. cinnamon

Drain soaked buckwheat. Rinse well in strainer. Place buckwheat grouts in food processor or blender, along with all the other ingredients and process until combined and fairly smooth. Adjust sweetener and cinnamon to taste. Scoop into bowls or parfait glasses and add desired toppings. Serve immediately cold. Place leftovers into fridge and enjoy for the next few days. Makes 4 cups.



2 comments:

  1. it sounds like a really good day!! I need to check out that site more often. I have visited it before. I am feeling SO good this time on the vegan diet.

    ReplyDelete