Tuesday, September 20, 2011

the big plan


Scenes from yesterday. Monday is an intense kitchen work day.

Now that my days aren't consumed with homeschooling and having kids home during the day, I've been trying to find my groove. Without any sort of routine or rhythm, I seem to flounder. (Not that watching foreign films in the middle of the day is a waste of time. wink, wink.) I need a focus, a direction to my days. There's a lot I want to get done in a week. I want a full life. I find that if I make some sort of plan- not just in my head, but actually written down, I seem to stay on task.

After a lot of thinking, prioritizing, and trial and error, this is the basic skeleton I came up with. I've already implemented a lot of this already, but there were some things that needed tweaking. Obviously, none of these tasks, meals, and focuses are set in stone. There might be things on the day's list that might not get done, and that's perfectly fine.  But I like having something to shoot for. There are also things I do that aren't on my list. Automatic things I don't need a prompting for. Even though I am a structured person, I allow for flexibility. Especially, if it involves other people and over riding circumstances. 

You'll see that I place a lot of emphasis in time spent in the kitchen. Feeding my family whole, nutritious, from scratch foods is a huge priority to me. And that takes time, energy, and sacrifice. My role as a homemaker is my life's work. And that takes staying home most of the time!


Monday

Breakfast: oats
Dinner: beans

Focus:
cook beans/grains
rinse and drain sprouts
almond milk
yogurt
granola
preserving

Tuesday:

Breakfast: toast and eggs/smoothies
Dinner: potatoes

Focus:
dips/dressings
snacks
treats
study and read (or watch foreign films!)

Wednesday

Breakfast: muffins/yogurt/smoothies
Dinner: soup and bread

Focus:
bread making (daily, rolls, breadsticks, pita, tortillas)

Thursday

Breakfast: pancakes/French toast
Dinner: pasta

Focus:
garden/organizing
studio

Friday

Breakfast: granola/other grain
Dinner: kids make

Focus:
shopping
volunteer at school
date night

Saturday

Breakfast: kids make
Dinner: Mom's choice/easy

Focus:
house cleaning/change bedding/organizing
yard
outing/library visit
movie night

Sunday

Breakfast: Mom's choice
Dinner: chicken or fish

Focus:
worship
rest
planning
hospitality
soak beans, grains, seeds, almonds


5 comments:

  1. oh Emily, this is just perfect. I am going to print it out. I am so impressed. Are you making your own yogurt and almond milk? I wrote something like this up but I like yours much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea and good plan. We don't have a big breakfast at my house. I just cut fruit and have some quick fix grabs to go (muffins, granola bars) but I think I could really use this plan for the focus beyond food stuff. You're a great and creative housemaker and your family is blessed to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, I have to say I LOVE your posts! I love you thoughts and your insights. I love how you are always striving to improve and be better. I love how you admit that you watch movies in the middle of the day :) I want to thank you for sharing... you make my days brighter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this Emily! I do something similar, but it's by week, rather than by day. (My list is a little shorter, too.) I love your canned pesto...those little jars are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great trying to get more on a schedule with three home now. Your photos are fantastic...did you switch to a 50mm lens? What are you shooting with now...photos are terrific.

    ReplyDelete