Thursday, September 22, 2011

bread day at the blue house bakery

How to make bread for masses. And enough to last the family a week. (and hopefully, more) :

1. Put on your apron. It'll help get you in working mode and you know that you'll get covered with flour if you don't. Be sure to put on comfortable shoes. You'll be on your feet all day.

2. Turn on some Bach harpsichord music for some get-up-and-go.


 3. Grind your wheat. Your bread will taste fresher and will be so much more nutritious for you.  (Plus, you've got to use up all that wheat that's filling the basement, right?)

4. Pull out your Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day cookbook. Mix up the 100% Whole Wheat Bread, Plain and Simple recipe that you'll use for the Naan flatbread and the pita. Then, the 100% Whole Grain Maple Oatmeal Bread dough that you'll use for the sandwich loaves and the cinnamon raisin bagels. Let them both rise for a couple of hours. Easy enough.


5. Make the tortillas. Adding more oil and letting the dough balls sit for a half an hour sure makes all the difference. 

6. Heck, they're good enough to eat, so why not? Pull out some hummus (that you made yesterday) from the fridge, schmear some on one that's still warm, and enjoy for your lunch.  

7. Talk to Jane on the phone.


8. Check Facebook. And other Internet stuff.

9. Fry up the Naan bread for tonight's dinner. This will be so good with the Portuguese soup that's planned.

10. Read Gary's email. Respond and snicker at your own wittiness.


11. Turn the oven on real high, like 500 degrees or so. Roll out the same dough for the pita. Most puffed, so that's good.


12.  Cut off hunks of the oatmeal dough and plop them in your greased bread pans. (Remember to save some for the bagels.)They'll go in the oven next after they rise. A tip: Brushing the loaves with a beaten egg and sprinkling on a topping always makes your bread prettier. And pretty is always good.



13. Form your bagels. Let them rise a bit and give them a bath in boiling water. Bake them longer than the recipe says. (They'll be pretty soggy.) Try not to not let it bother you that they come out a little flat looking. Isaac will still be happy you made them.

15. Attack most of the kitchen mess before you have to head out the door for carpool. You'll thank yourself when dinner time rolls around. Like in a couple of hours, don't you know.

9 comments:

  1. Are you serious Emily? Oh my goodness! Wow. I have been looking for a naan recipe with no dairy. I have the Artisan bread book out from the library now and will look at the recipe you mentioned. It's clear you've been making bread for a long time. It's all so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at - grind your own wheat!

    may I ask how long that all took? And, then - could you please come to my house and teach me? wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise:

    My electric grinder (manufactured by the same people who do Blendtecs) grinds not only wheat but popcorn (cornmeal), beans, and other grains. It's fast but noisy.

    I guess I started around 9ish. It wasn't constant, but quite a juggling act. I was done by 3.

    Us baking together= happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me giggle, and I need that right now. This is why I love you, you just understand when I say I spend all day baking bread. I picked up a tortilla press at a yard sale for $1! Going to have some serious fun with it now since I also (finally) got the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day cookbook. Fun post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my...this is looking so yummy and tempting...
    it will have to wait for us to dip in to this kind of adventure and we are having our "summer" finally....and I do not bake or use the oven in the "summer" time...and that's my excuse...:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been doing Wheat Bread forever but would love your recipes for the other baked items you did.....Impressive

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seriously want your recipes! Do you have a tortilla maker? Don't hold out on us girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi all. Some of you asked about the recipes. The bread recipes (both doughs to make pita, flatbread, oatmeal maple loaves, and bagels) can be found in the book: Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois. They also have a Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

    Sometimes I use my electric tortilla press and sometimes I don't. I like the press because it not only flattens them into a perfect round, but it cookes them at the same time. But for many years, and the day I made these, I just do it the old fashioned way by rolling with a rolling pin and cooking on my pancake skillet. The recipe was found on http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2010/05/26/recipe-whole-wheat-tortillas/. I was looking to tweak the recipe that I always used to do and this one had a bit more oil and made for a softer, puffier tortilla.

    Hope that helps. Thanks for all the bread love, you guys. Thanks for being here!

    ReplyDelete