Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Dr. Mom To The Rescue~ Part 2: The Tackle Box First Aid and Wellness Kit

Of course, everyone knows that it's important to have a first aid kit, supplies, and medications in the home. We should be prepared for any emergency, crisis, or illness that hits the family. Especially in those instances where we can't get professional medical attention right away (like in the middle of the night). There are some cases where we don't need to run to the doctor; simple common ailments that can be treated at home. These situations obviously call for sound judgment, wisdom, loving care, and knowledge.

I've tried different ways of organizing all the items I find useful in the care of my family in an emergency situation, the every day situations when someone needs help with an owie, or the times when someone is ill. For most my years as a mother, I've allocated a couple of shelves in a hall closet, with little organizers and small store-bought first aid kits. Band-Aids, medicines, and creams were often scattered in the kitchen and the bathrooms all over the house. No one ever put things back how I had organized them. I wanted a place to corral everything. I needed compartmentalization. I wanted customization. I searched the Internet for ideas. I wanted something I could take with us in the car, especially on vacations or camping trips. Going on our cross country trip was the main incentive to build a comprehenive, transportable kit. (And boy, was I grateful to have that on hand. We put it to use every day on our trip.)

Then it hit me.

A fishing tackle box! A big one. The biggest one Wal-Mart carried. That was the answer!


Opened up and ready to use. See how much I can fit in here? Let me remind you that it takes time and money to put something like this together. It's taken me more than a year to build up my supplies. "Let all things be done in wisdom and in order..."

(See the empty little slots on the left? That's where I put my essential oils when we go on trips or times away from home. I can't believe how helpful they were to me on our cross-country trip to Wisconsin this summer. When they aren't in here, they are kept in a kit in my nightstand. More on that tomorrow.)

All closed and ready to move from place to place where it's needed. Most of the time, it sits on a shelf in my bedroom closet.

For Wound Care:

Band-Aids (of all shapes and sizes), butterfly bandages, gauze rolls (thin and wide), flannel and muslin bandage rolls, woman's sanitary napkin, gauze pads, athletic tape, waterproof tape, scissors, moleskin (for blister prevention), disposable gloves, Q-Tips, cotton balls/pads, tweezers, disinfecting/antiseptic wipes, *Complete Bone & Tissue ointment and capsules, *Cayenne Heat ointment, cayenne powder (for bleeding wounds, bloody noses, and shock), Neosporin, Arnica homeopathic cream and tablets (for bruising and swelling), Toprican ointment (for inflammation and pain), olive oil, castor oil, wheat germ oil (in fridge)

For Skin Irritations/Rashes/Allergies:

100% Aloe Vera gel for burns and sunburns, over the counter allergy medication, *Sting and Bite Ointment (for relief from itchy and painful insect bites, other itchy irritations, cuts and scrapes), Benadryl itch cream, natural DEET free insect repellent, Visine (for irritated eyes), *Black Ointment (to draw out slivers, infection from abscesses, boils, toxins and impurities from skin tissues)

Sickness:

Slippery elm lozenges (for sore, irritated throats), Cherry Bark Blend Cough Syrup (Herbs for Kids), *Cough Formula, herbal throat spray (for sore, irritated throats), *Kid-E-Col (for colic, tummy ache, nausea, *Kid-E-Well (immune strengthener/infection fighter for kids and adults, as well), *Infection Formula (took this at the onset of a sinus infection on our trip to Wisconsin and it knocked it out), *Sinus Plus (helps clear the sinuses), *Stop-Ache (for pain), Bach Rescue Remedy flower essence (for times of stress, upset), cold and flu homeopathic remedy (Highlands), nausea and vomiting Ipecacuanha homeopathic remedy (Highlands), Ibuprofin, *Anti-Spasmodic Formula tincture (to stop coughing, muscle spasms- I rubbed this on my sister's chest and it was able to stop her coughing fits and allowed her to sleep for the first time in days. It works.), *Lung and Bronchial Formula (for respiratory support), herbal ear drops (contains mullein, St. John's Wort, Garlic, Goldenseal, Lobelia, Olive oil), *Glandular Massage Oil (to help drain and move congested lymph), *Quick Colon Formula (to aid in moving bowels, cleansing, constipation), Valerian and Chamomile spray (to alleviate insomnia), electrolyte powder mixes (for dehydration), 5HTP and St. John's Wort (to help relieve anxiety and depression)

*denotes Dr. Christopher brand

(note: I also use the items we talked about in the previous post. They are essential aids in our wellness program.)

Now, my next project along these lines (I'm not sure when that may be, hopefully soon.) is to update the little first aid kits we keep in the cars. I want to expand these to become more of a emergency situation kind of kit. (I put together one as a gift to my parents one Christmas and it was one of the best things they (and I) felt anyone could receive.

I'd like to create little ones for my college kids, (hey, that might make a good Christmas gift!) as well as mini ones for the kids backpacks.

I'm sure you all have great things to share here:

Am I forgetting something? What items can you not go without?
How do you like to organize your home medical supplies?
Are there any noteworthy experiences you'd like to share in the doctoring of your families?

I'd love to hear from you!




23 comments:

  1. a few months ago my husband brought home a fully stocked wall mounted first aid kit from his work - they were going to throw it away! it was a total score. i like your fish tackle box though - portable. I am going to do this. you are so wise Emily. I have learned so much from you lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is an amazing couple posts Emily. I plan to link to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, what a wonderful resource! Your shelf on the previous post is beautiful. I need to pull together all my first aid supplies and a tackle box is a great idea. Someone is always yelling, "mom/jen, where is the X?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Emily....this is such a great idea...
    I have several "kits" throughout our home...but I have needed a kit more central...something that had everything I needed verse several kits all over the place...
    Funny thing is when I was in Mexico on my honeymoon I got pretty sick and a doctor was called and came to our room....he took out a tackle box of all things!!! I remember thinking it was a little weird to get needles out of there to give me pain relief...but now I see it as wonderful idea...and that doctor was brilliant to carry it all that way...thank you for reminding me that the "package" is not what you look at but what is inside...a great metaphor for me this morning on a very spiritual level...

    thanks my friend:)

    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! What's the model number on that tackle box? I can't find it...

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve: The tackle box is a Flambeau make. I couldn't find the model number on it, but I did a little research and found it is model number 2059 7 tray Hip Roof Box. I bought it in September at Walmart, but after looking at their website, I was unable to find it there. I did see that it's on Amazon and Cabela's. Hope that helps. Good luck and thanks for being here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, found it, thanks! The color difference threw me off, but the tray configuration and layout is exactly the same. The red top on yours might've been exclusive to Walmart or something. I appreciate the info... looks like a perfect kit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband and I did the same thing a few yrs ago. it's great!


    -a-

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have one for girl scouts when we camp and go on outings and we add in some (that time of the month) items and also a special home sick pill ( skittles in a bottle with prescription like lable on it) Flashlight and extra batteries.

    I prefer the boxes that have the larger drawers and such as I have all my bandaid, gauze and such seperated and into snack size bags because you never know when your kit might get wet. Another reason is I have one for all the scouts meds too when we camp it keeps it safe and out of the way of hands and such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use an isolated soft lunch box for our meds. Most medicine can't be too cold or to hot. Will also keep the wetness out. Great if you have to evacuate.

      Delete
  10. I always have some tea tree oil and colloidal silver.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stay healthy and live for a healthy lifestyle.

    Regards,
    Kenny

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, thank you for posting this. I've realized that we should really have a first aid kit and be prepared for emergencies and incidents. Especially, not all people have a money to go to doctor if they got an accident but if we have this first aid, it is really helpful.

    Sport Strapping Tape

    ReplyDelete
  13. A high quality, well maintained first aid kit can decrease the impact of any injuries and save overall costs - it’s that convenient. That's the reason why first aid kit is must have anywhere.

    First aid kit supplies online

    ReplyDelete
  14. Greеtіngs frοm Carolina! I'm bored to tears at work so I decided to browse your site on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the information you present here and can't wait to take
    a look when Ӏ get homе. I'm shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my mobile .. I'm not even using WIFI,
    just 3G .. Anyhow, superb sіte!

    Feel free tο viѕit my web-sіte ..

    . order dumpster
    My page :: dumpster hire

    ReplyDelete
  15. Нmm it аppears lіkе your ѕіte аte my first comment (it
    was ѕuper long) so I guеѕs Ι'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm thoгοughly enjοying
    your blog. I as well am an aspігing blog blοggeг
    but І'm still new to everything. Do you have any helpful hints for first-time blog writers? I'd genuinеly appгeciatе it.


    Mу web blog dumpster rentals raleigh

    ReplyDelete
  16. {
    {І hаνе|I've} been {surfing|browsing} online more than {three|3|2|4} hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. {It'ѕ|It іs} pretty worth enοugh for me.
    {In my ορinion|Perѕonally|In my view}, if all {webmasterѕ|site owners|websi

    Feel free tο surf to my site :: dumpster rental raleigh

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hі, Ι log on to your blog ԁаily.
    Your wrіting style is awesοme, keеρ іt up!


    Taκе a look at my site; rental trash dumpster
    my webpage > roll off dumpsters

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's in reality a great and helpful piece of info. I'm satisfіeԁ thаt уou shared this
    helpful infο with us. Рlease kеep
    us up to date liκe this. Thanks for shаrіng.



    mу homepage - dumpster rental maryland

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is important for every family to have a basic first aid kit in their home. This article covers the minimum supplies needed to easily make your own first aid kit.

    First Aid Kits

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, this isn't anything new. I made one of those when the tv series called Emergency! started showing. The only limitations is that of the IVs, pre-loaded syringes, the Datascope 800, cardiac defibrilator and the bio-com biophone.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. Thank you for those lists and tips! My, your first aid kit really looks big. Of course, you can never predict what might happen so it’s better to always be prepared when it comes to your family’s well-being! Good job.

    Harvey Foster

    ReplyDelete