Thursday, September 15, 2011

Roasted Chickpeas

You can call them chickpeas. You can call them garbanzo beans. It's the same thing, folks.



This little bean is one of my favorite things to eat. It wasn't always so. I think the only real time I remember eating them was in my mom's minestrone soup or in the old 3 Bean Salad. I think something about the texture turned me off. In the last two years or so, I've fallen in love. Real love. Like, addicted love. Of course, they star in hummus. I put them on top of my salads. I make a to die for spicy garbanzo-spinach medley that we'll eat in wraps or over brown rice. I love them in curries. Ahh....


Here's how it goes:

Place two cups of cooked chickpeas or 1 (15 oz.) can in strainer or colander and rinse with water. Try to get off as much of the water as you can. Lay some paper towels or napkins on a cookie sheet and pour the beans on top. Use another towel to gently roll them back and forth to absorb any excess water. In a little bowl, combine 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and any other seasonings you may want to use. The possibilities are endless.

Maybe:

garlic powder or salt, fresh minced garlic, or roasted garlic
nutritional yeast
cayenne pepper
black pepper
chipotle powder
Cajun seasoning
soy (tamari) sauce and sesame oil
curry
ginger
rosemary
cilantro
cumin
cinnamon
lime juice
maple syrup or honey

Take this mixture of olive oil and seasonings and drizzle over the pan of chickpeas. Toss with your hands. (It's really the only way).
Roast in a 400 degree oven for 30-40 minutes until the beans become golden. You may want to take them out of the oven halfway through and give them a quick stir. Watch so they don't burn.

(Note: Some folks like to add the seasonings after roasting. Either way, it is good.)

Prepare yourself for some serious yum. You'll be surprised at how they'll be crunchy and chewy all at the same time. They are best eaten right away, but since I made a 3 can batch, we've been enjoying them this week for out of the hand snacks, in lunch boxes, and on top of my lunch time salad.

Is your mouth watering?

I thought so.


3 comments:

  1. i'm going to give a try this weekend. here is a question for you - are you taking a B12? I have noticed a bit more hair loss since eating mostly vegan. Was wondering if it is related to the diet? How do you like nutritional yeast? I have yet to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm...yummy...I am most definitely making some of those up...:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I came back looking for an answer to my question and it seems that I didn't posted even when I thought I did! Seems delicious do you make it with dry garbanzo beans or canned?

    ReplyDelete