Thursday, September 1, 2011

thankful thursday


~ the peaceful return to beautiful candlelight at dinnertime. A hallmark of cooler, darker days to come.

~for Jane finding friendship and connection in her new college experience with four dear old high school chums showing up in her religion class (out of the thousands of other Freshmen that could have been there), the delightful discovery of a childhood and family friend living in the dorm just below her, and new Portugal ties formed in her Chinese class of all places. 

~for Gary's finding a kindred spirit in his new roommate.

~for seeing the hand of God in all this.

~the sweet companionship, the devoted friend who follows me around wherever I go in this quiet house. Who never leaves my side. I've never noticed and appreciated her presence more. Even her incessant barking (like when the UPS man banged at the door yesterday afternoon) leaves me feeling so protected.

~ the miracle of finding my keys yesterday, lost on Sunday, hidden under the pile formed on Saturday of Jane's discarded clothes ready to be taken to the thrift store.  So very, very, strange. So relieved that I trusted my feelings not to go ahead, but wait to get a new ($70) van replacement key. Thank you, God, once again for showing me your love through lost keys.

~how freeing it is to be able to walk in my bedroom closet, being able to see the floor, and enjoying things all tidy and lined up now that I finally took the time yesterday to clean out, bag up, and donate. Ahh....

~realizing what a gift the public library is to our family. More delicious books for me. Curled up in my bed at 8:30 last night and read for a couple hours out of The 50 Greatest Love Letters of All Time. So lovely and so swoony, I can't stand it.

~for an unselfish dad's use of his valuable time, using his skills in helping fix a needy daughter's laptop. 

~for stick-to-your-guns parenting. 


~how satisfying it is to bring in a meal's worth of vegetables from your own back yard.

~the gift it is to have friends, kind, kindred spirits both near and far. Support and connection in "real" life or through this new frontier of e-mail, the blog world, and Facebook. All of it genuine I feel, all a blessing in my life.

7 comments:

  1. i really enjoyed reading this. I too went to bed last night at 8:30 :) It felt so good. My kids are off to school this morning. Totally agree about the companionship of a dog. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is totally unrelated...are you by any chance on goodreads?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, I'm not but I've only found out about it just recently. (Where have I been?) I think it's a good place for finding "good reads".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found out about it through Renee. I don't know many people on it, but enjoy seeing what others are reading. It's also a good place to track what you've read and want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There so much meaning when you stop and look, really look to every little blessing of each day. I am in goodreads, sometimes there are suggestions that speak to me. Love you and your serenity (so hard fought for and so worthy of it you are!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. That book sounds perfect, I will have to check it out.

    I'm missing squash in the garden this year. We had such a problem with squash bugs last year, that we're letting the garden rest.

    ReplyDelete