Friday, November 11, 2011

An Alphabetical Exercise in Thanks-Giving

This is a re-post from my old blog, Blue House Blessings. I did this exercise in gratitude last November and enjoyed it so much that I thought I'd share it with you here. (It may be a repeat for some of you!) Keep checking back as I go through the alphabet as we get closer to Thanksgiving Day. Some things I've changed to make it more relevant to where I'm at this year and some things just never change.


November is a nice time to think about the blessings in our lives. The simple things we love that make our lives wonderful and happy. I thought it would be fun to take the letters of the alphabet, one for each day, and think of all the things that I'm grateful for that start with that letter. Little things and big. It's been a nice exercise for me and has helped me to bring to mind all the things that mean so much to me. Try it for yourself. You'll find, like I do, that you'll be thinking of things all day long. (Even while lying in bed, almost asleep or driving to pick up the kids.) Have something handy to write things down on. Your lists will grow. It'll be a game. Almost like Pollyanna's "glad game". I'll be posting my list here from now until Thanksgiving (or until the letter "Z"!).




A: amor, aromatherapy, artisans, Abe, Anne (with an "e"), Asics, academia, Austen, alternative, action, anesthesia, asana, acceptance, apples, apostles, almonds.

B: bolos, books, blogs, blogging, beijinhos, BYU, bedtime, BBC, bread, baking, berries, bounty, beauty, babies, Bach, balance, Bronte, belief.

C: clogs, chocolate, coconut, coconut oil, curry, campfire, culture(s), companions, compassion, contentment, communication, clean, cleanse, creativity, children, collards, chard, cuddles, charter schools, choice, change, camera, Caldo Verde, candlelight, care, commitment, concern, covenants, calm.

D: dedication, diligence, discipline, discounts, devotion, desire, drive, Dad(s), Disneyland, daughters, Dickens, Denise, delicious, dates (the fruit and the outings), daffodils, deodorant, dessert, daisies.

E: Eliza, eternity, equality, education, England, energy, endurance, Europe, embroidery, electricity, Easter, excellence.
 
F: friendship, fun, flannel sheets and shirts, fall foliage, fruit, faith, freedom, Ficklins, fulfillment, Fred Rogers, farmers, flag,  foreign films, fireplaces, flowers, flower arranging, ferries, Facebook, food, forgiveness, families.


G: Gary, grandparents, garden, green, green smoothie, gospel, growth, goodness, guitar, generosity, games, geography, grass, grapes, Google, Grooveshark, Gandhi, giving, God.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! This reminds me of when I used to "pray" through the alphabet. The poor friends whose names started with letters towards the end of the alphabet rarely got prayed for - I would get distracted or fall asleep : )

    I'll start my list this weekend.

    ReplyDelete