Sunday, November 6, 2011

Daybook for November 6, 2011

Outside my window: Friday brought pretty cold temperatures and a snow storm rolled in late that night. (Making for a little tense freeway drive home from the big city date.) Couldn't muster up the gumption to run yesterday morning, although I wanted to. Yoga instead. All that remains now is a dusting of snow seen on the mountains. Not as cold today and glad the sun is shining. 


One of my favorite things: autumn leaves. (You probably know that by now.) The varied brilliant colors, the musky damp smell, the happy crunching sound, the childhood memories of raking up and jumping into those huge piles we would make. I just can't get enough. Simple joys.

 I am thankful for: more light in the mornings now. Happy not to have to run in the dark, at least for a little while.

I am thinking: how nice it was yesterday of Keith to clean up the garden, the shed, and start on the garage chaos. And to have a husband like him who wants (and suggests) watching BBC drama "chick flicks" in bed together. We curled up in the covers last night, stayed up late waiting to go get Sam at his friend's house, and watched half of North and South.

In the kitchen: apple crisp baking away in the oven just now. I think I'll make a mushroom barley soup as a first course for our dinner. I've got a lot of vegetables in the fridge and I think some kind of stir fry will be nice, too. Gary will most likely bring home Ivana, his (Vegan if you can believe it, girlfriend. I just love this girl. In more ways than one.) and Jane will probably come home with her friend Mariana.

Also, to note: I've got my first ever sourdough starter in the fridge (thank you, Melanie!), waiting for me to mix up some dough to set overnight. This is my first venture into baking bread this way. A little anxious about the whole process, but excited to venture into new territory.

I am going: get ready and go to church.

I am hearing: George Winston's Autumn. Thank you, Grooveshark.

I am hoping: that the books that I picked up yesterday at the book store, Vegan Pie in the Sky and Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar (Moskowitz and Romero) will be helpful this upcoming holiday baking season. I can't believe that's just around the corner.

Around the house: a little harvest theme on the kitchen table~



I am reading:  Isaac has been begging me to read the Harry Potter series, which I've never done. I've started book one.  Also, a huge stack from the library to look forward to and find the time for.

Unaccustomed Earth~ Jhumpa Lahiri
The Most Beautiful Villages of England
Learning to Breath: My Yearlong Quest to Bring Calm into My Life~Priscilla Warner
The Novice: A Story Of True Love~ Thich Nhat Hanh
The One-Dish Vegetarian~ Maria Robbins

I am wearing: red slippers, apron still on, brown turtleneck, navy lounge pants.

A few plans for the rest of the week: Eliza and Isaac have 1/2 days on Tuesday and Wednesday, and are out of school for the rest of the week (teachers are going to a national conference). It'll be nice to have more time with them.


2 comments:

  1. Like I said, before you know it you'll be teaching me sourdough! And, that would be wonderful!

    Check out the book Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World by the same author (if you haven't already). I've ordered a vegan holiday cooking/baking book too, I'll let you know what I think of it.

    Read Harry Potter! Read Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking part in the daybook! I also enjoy reading yours.

    ReplyDelete