Sunday, November 20, 2011

the only way


"Understand your own suffering.
Then understand the suffering of another person
and you can have compassion."

~Thich Nhat Hanh

I read these words quoted in a book the other day. Wisdom from a beloved teacher and writer. Words so simple, yet so profound.

I know for myself and from the lives of those I love that this is truth.

We wonder why we have to suffer in this life. Why others suffer. We try to see the meaning, the purpose in trials, big and small. We question God's goodness, care, and love for us.

Yet through it all, I truly do believe that the pain we sometimes go through is a gift.

A refining fire.

And it is only through this gift that we can know what it means to love another.
To understand another.
To know,
To develop,
To live, 
Compassion.

2 comments:

  1. this makes total sense. i'm slowly becoming refined...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really did need to read this today.

    ReplyDelete