Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Finding Joy~ Day 7

St. Nicholas Day
(a day late, but that's okay)



Isaac has had a fun time learning about winter traditions and festivals at school. He told me last night- December 6th- about it being St. Nicholas Day, but was disappointed that we missed it. I told him I didn't see how it would make a difference, only one day late.  He grinned and shrugged his shoulders, calling for Sam and Eliza to put their shoes under the advent calendar for St. Nicholas to (hopefully) fill. He said it would kind of be like it taking the place, just this night, of Twinky coming (our nightly December elf visitor).

Sam was a little hesitant. "My shoes stink, Mom. That's gross," he said blankly. The idea of treats tucked inside his sweaty-boy shoes. I told him that the treats would most likely be wrapped. Funny that he said he'd go ahead and put out his high tops- "These ones have more room." (Hint hint, Mom.)

This was fun. Even for my teenagers. I've always thought this was a sweet, little tradition. I just love learning about European Christmas traditions, especially. I think this one might stick.

If we remember.

2 comments:

  1. cute. someone brought St. Nick cookies to yoga yesterday morning. love that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember hearing about this tradition at school when I was little and trying to talk my Mum into letting us leave our shoes out. She didn't go for it. I am thinking I will make a note of the date in next year's calendar and surprise my husband and grown son with treats in their shoes on St Nicholas Day.

    ReplyDelete