Monday, January 23, 2012

"Looking Younger"... Gray Hair... Raw Foods: Is There A Connection?

I always feel a little dorky taking a full blown picture of myself.

Besides a tad bit embarrassing, it ain't an easy thing to do, managing the camera with one hand and all.

Anyways, I guess I just want to prove my point.


Last night in bed, lying there in the dark, Keith broke the silence with this question he posed at me:

"Did you dye your hair recently or something?"

(Long pause from me, taking this all in.)

"What?" I respond, incredulously.

"It's just that I was looking at you tonight, and I'm noticing how much younger you look. Like your hair looks darker or something. Not as gray as it's been before." And the clincher, here:

"I'm thinking that it's probably from all that nutrition you're getting."

Seriously. (My face breaking into a wide grin.)

It got me thinking. Maybe it's the fact that he's been gone a lot. Seeing me with fresh eyes today. But, with more prodding from me, (I'm really wanting to hear more at this point!) he says that he's been noticing this for a while now.


Still thinking about what he said. Analyzing my hair, my skin a little more than usual today in the mirror.

What he's saying might actually be true.

In all my studies, I've heard it repeatedly said that eating a lot of raw foods combats the aging process for a great majority of people who follow this lifestyle. Vitamins, minerals, and enzymes from superfoods, specifically from those amazing greens that I've learned to love and crave (and seem to magnetically gravitate toward when I'm in the produce section) which feed, cleanse, and build right at the cellular level. All that fiber, sweeping out congesting toxins, easing up burdens to the liver, especially.

I've seen it for myself, intrigued, with every single person I know whose diet is plant-based and mostly raw. These folks seem to glow. Radiate. Skin supple, wrinkle-free, and firm, with what I like to call a rosy, vibrant "apple cheek" kind of smile. 

I've read accounts of people miraculously being able to reverse graying hair to their natural color by drinking a lot of green juices and smoothies, cutting out dead, processed, and fried foods. Just this morning, to feed my curiosity and interest even further, I did a little more research on this topic. (Here, here if you are interested.) 

For the last year and a half, I, too, have crowded in more raw plant foods and I think it's making a huge difference not only in the way I feel, but apparently, now, in the way I look. 


Today's lunch. So good.

There have obviously been other factors to this, as well. Efforts in drinking more pure water. Daily exercise. Incorporating those beneficial healthy fats in my diet. Good fats such as those found in seeds and nuts, avocados, and nourishing oils like coconut, olive, and flax seed oils.

Speaking of oils, my so called "beauty regimen" is really very simple. After washing my body with soaps where the natural forming by-product glycerin is still intact, I moisturize with either a blend of sweet almond and olive oils or take a scoop of raw coconut oil I keep in a tin in my cabinet bathroom, rubbing this in all over my body, as well as my face. Yes, I eat fat and I wear fat! It's as simple as that. No need for expensive, cosmetic counter moisturizers for me.


I believe that true beauty naturally starts from the inside; manifesting itself on the outside. It's that inner peace and happiness that radiates light, comeliness, confidence, and purity.

That's the kind of beauty I'm seeking.

Hoping more than ever, that I'm on the right path to a more beautiful life and a more beautiful me.

14 comments:

  1. I think you're beautiful. Inside and out. And I love your self portraits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, what a coincidence! I have been watching videos the past two nights on You Tube of Victoria Boutenko talking about how her grey hair went away after drinking so many green smoothies.

    I have been trying to come to terms with my grey hair for a while now. I just keep coloring it telling myself that I'm too young to be grey. I told Marc two nights ago that I am going to amp up the green smoothies in hopes that they will go away.

    And while that would be great, what I really want is to accept my haircolor, whatever it is. I especially get concerned about the message I'm sending my daughter as she grows older and becomes more aware of body image since she knows that my hair is grey but I change it.

    I agree with Renee that you are beautiful in many ways! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Renee and Jennifer! (Blushing...)

    Jennifer: You know, I tried to watch that video, but was disappointed when it kept saying that it was taken down. What was the link you found it on? I'd love to hear about her experience.

    I had to come to terms with my gray hair and that I'm really okay without dying it. (like all the women I know.) I have similar feelings about body image and perception- especially what this conveys to my daughters. I tell myself that I have "natural" highlights! If the greens/smoothies/ raw aids in getting me back to a more youthful looking me, I'm all for that. xo to you, too my friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. your picture is perfect and what a nice compliment from your husband. I totally agree with Renee - you are beautiful inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so inspiring. I don't have grey hair (yet) but that you can see results is amazing, I think. And I also think you look very lovely in that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't focus on the change you were seeing in your hair because of the amazing salad photo included in your post. :) The 'real food/raw food' life change is some what new to our family. Do you have a recipe for the salad that you wouldn't mind sharing or maybe just a breakdown of what you included in it? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome. I'm so happy you posted this. I've been getting so many compliments on my skin and I tell them it's because I've given up dairy and all that other stuff. I swore the last time I was really good about eating vegan and gluten-free that my white hairs disappeared. My husband thought I was crazy. I'm on the wagon again, so hopefully they'll go away soon!

    You do look fabulous and I can't tell you often enough what an inspiration you and your blog are to me. You help me keep going. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't usually comment on blogs but I just can't help it. You are just so adorable! And yes I do believe you when you say all the real/raw foods help your skin, hair and mind! It is an inspiration to read your blog. And your salad did look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting about the gray hair/raw foods connection. I have more and more silver popping up on my head - still mostly over my ears. I kind of like it but wonder if I should dye it. women I know pay $80-120 every couple months for a dye job. Hmmm... what if, instead, we forked that money into our mouths in the way of extra fruit/veg?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a good post. This post give truly quality information.I’m definitely going to look into it.Really very useful tips are provided here.thank you so much.Keep up the good works. gray hair remedy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good ideas! I like the way you express your idea and the topic you choose. KEep on your sharing! I appreciate it. gum grafting

    ReplyDelete
  12. Using foils gives you better control of where each highlight goes and gives you even highlights all over your head.
    gray hair

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eating healthy food and vegetables can help slow down aging because of the antioxidants found in these foods. food science recruitment

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome. I am so pleased you released this. I have been getting so many increases on my skin and I tell them it's because I have given up dairy and all that other factors. I swore the before I was really outstanding about taking veggie and gluten-free that my white-colored locks disappeared. My partner considered I was crazy. I am on the chariot again, so hopefully they will go away soon! http://www.debtconsolidationloans4uk.co.uk

    ReplyDelete