Thursday, March 15, 2012

these scouts crack me up... and a peanut butter popcorn recipe you'll love

Thursday afternoon is cub scout den meeting.


When I was asked to fill this position as den leader, I honestly had to take a deep breath and "buck up", if you know what I mean. I'd done this gig before. I wasn't sure if the enthusiasm was still there.

Well, last week and today I feel like the fire is back.

I've decided that I love boys.
I love their energy and enthusiasm.

I get boys.
I think I know how to relate to them.
Maybe more than girls.

I get a feeling that they like me and can sense that I like them. That's important.

I just have to share a few bits of conversation I had with a scout named C_____, as we were all walking around the neighborhood, dropping off bags for Scouting for Food (in conjunction with the local Food Bank). I've noticed that this one especially likes staying by my side. Out of the blue he says:

"Do you have any brothers (he's one of five boys) in your family?"

"Yes, I have two younger brothers."

His query, "Were they a pain in the keister?"

I laughed (once I registered what he was saying. It took me a while.)  and told him how one of my brothers about his age of seven or eight, took banana peels and "ice skated" all over my mom's clean kitchen floor. A real stinker thing to do, I told him.

(Long pause here.)

"I'm basically the peacemaker in my family", was his thoughtful reply.

"I'm sure your mom really appreciates that about you." I answered.

A few minutes later as we were finished and walking back to my house, M_____ loses his tooth while eating his baggie of peanut butter popcorn and C_____ nonchalantly looks up to me, hardly any expression on his face, stating:

"Once I lost a tooth and found it later in my digestive system".

This kid is so busting me up.


Before I leave you now and head over to caucus meeting- I take my citizen duties seriously- I'll leave you with a little recipe. An all time favorite with my family. And apparently with the scouts now, too.

(They tell me I make good stuff. Really good stuff.)

Peanut Butter Popcorn

10-12 cups popped popcorn
1 cup sugar (any kind will do)
1 cup honey, agave, or corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter
1 t. vanilla

In a saucepan, combine sugar and liquid sweetener. Stir constantly and bring to a boil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla. Pour over popcorn and stir well. (I like to pour this onto a cookie sheet and let it set up a little.)

2 comments:

  1. The kid is funny! Love kids' talking. I'll try that recipe, sounds yummy! See at caucus, not sure if we have same voting precint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm...Please don't believe everything he tells you, some things get pretty scary!! Thank you for posting this recipe, we heard all about it at dinner tonight. I was told I still need the granola bar recipe too!! He absolutely loves having you for a scout leader, glad you accepted the call!!

    ReplyDelete