Monday, April 2, 2012

Daybook for April 2, 2012



Outside my window: Ever more blossoms. I can't get enough of this beauty. Blue skies today; a change from yesterday's gray. Windy and chilly enough to don a sweater.

I am thankful for: such a wonderful weekend. Spiritual enrichment from our church worldwide General Conference that we enjoyed watching comfortably and conveniently on TV here at home. Enjoying a drop by  heart-to-heart visit with Phyllis. Grateful for the lovely time with my dear friend Carolyn who invited me to join her witnessing this inspirational little angel perform in concert. I couldn't contain the tears, overwhelmed how this child can create such amazing and beautiful sound. Sunday evening we gathered with all of Keith's brothers and sisters at his dad's house. So nice that all of us were able to be in town at the same time.

I am thinking: about all the preparations I need to do to get ready for Sunday the 15th when Gary will speak in church. Lots of his friends and other loved ones will gather here at our home after to visit and eat. Also thinking of everything else that's involved with helping Gary prepare and get ready to leave on his mission on the 25th. Gearing up emotionally for this separation from him. Helping Jane find and move into a new apartment. Trying to not get overwhelmed. Taking one day at a time.

I am creating: Brought out the wicker stored away for the winter in the shed. I planted a few pots of pansies and primroses, too, on Saturday, and I think they add a nice cheery and homey look to the front porch. Trying to spruce things up around here. For several years now, I've used my Grandma's old ironing board as a sort of a "window box". I think it works. 



I am going: Staying put for the rest of the day. Ran to the store a while ago to pick up some things I need to get started on my upcoming baking marathon, as well as some new porch swing cushions to replace the worn out original ones. Also, since Easter is sneaking up on me faster than I'm ready for, I thought it was a good time to get a few Easter basket treats. No carpool to pick up. Hurray for Sandy calling to say she was out and would pick up the kids this afternoon

I am hearing: the wind 'a blowin'.



In the kitchen: I'll be fitting in quite a bit of baking time in the next couple of weeks. Cookies and other treats to freeze for that special Sunday. With all these ripening bananas in the kitchen, I think I'll make some banana bread today.



I am hoping: that Jane gets her hoped for campus janitorial job she has an interview for tomorrow. That, along with a job at the university laundry services she was offered, which she'll begin at the end of the month. She's decided to continue to live down around campus through the summer, working and saving for fall semester. I can't tell you how proud I am of her for being willing to take, even seeking, any kind of job, even these types that aren't so glamorous, if you know what I mean. That she's the type of girl who knows how to work and isn't afraid of a little elbow grease.

Around the house: Piles of Gary's stuff in all this transition time. Bins/framed art packed up from his apartment piling up in the music room. Mission items, yet to be packed, and his own personal stuff taking over my sewing room. Just breathe, I say.

I am reading: The Seductions of Rice (Alford and Duguid). Cookbook and southwest Asia cultural/travel commentary. Love the photography in this one, as well as their Hot Sour Salty Sweet which I have in my cookbook collection. Brings more of my traveling yearnings to the surface. Looking for a good novel to read, too. Suggestions?

I am wearing: straw yellow turtleneck sweater, khakis, brown leather loafers.

A few plans for the rest of the week: anxiously and excitedly awaiting Ivana's mission call that is expected to come on Wednesday. (Yes, those two will support and cheer each other on in their missionary service.) We'll celebrate Sam's sixteenth birthday on Thursday. Gary will go to the temple (Salt Lake City) for the first time on Friday afternoon as he prepares to leave this month. Sam will be ordained the office of Priest on this Easter Sunday. What a special, memorable, (and busy) week this is turning out to be.



14 comments:

  1. So many wonderful events and that Jane of yours...she is so "Austen", I love that! No wonder you feel overwhelmed...one day at the time...make memorable just the way you know how to do it! Excited for Ivana, can't wait to hear where she is going to serve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame you added "aren't so glamorous, if you know what I mean" to the janitor and laundry jobs. It's obviously in your mind that these are demeaning jobs, jobs that the lower classes do. Some of us depend on these kind of jobs to live (as in putting food in our children's mouths not buying fancy porch cushions)and this post has shown you to be someone living the good life, looking down on the lower classes. Yes you might offer your time and effort to helping others but your words on here show what is truly inside.

    I've been one of your non commenting readers for some time but this post is a turn off for me too.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy: when I described those jobs- laundry and janitorial work- ones that "aren't so glamorous, if you know what I mean,", I was referring to what most college girls her age, in my opinion, might perceive or call this type of work to be. These jobs actually pay a higher salary to attract people like my daughter to take them, as they aren't too popular or sought after. My whole tone in that paragraph was to say how proud I am to have a daughter that knows how to work and gladly accepts any kind of work. Nowhere did I say or infer that this is demeaning work that only, as you put it, "lower class" people do. That was your way of describing it, not mine.

    In fact, I came from a large family where money was very tight. I was totally responsable financially for myself after graduating from high school. I payed for college with a Pell grant and washed dishes in a cafeteria, mowed lawns, and pulled weeds on the school grounds. Do you think I felt "demeaned"? Absolutely not. I did what most hard working Americans of any class do: work.

    How well I know the struggle it is to work (in any type of job), "putting food in our children's mouth". My husband and I don't live what you'd call a fancy lifesstyle. We sacrifice and live simply. Our children know how and need to contribute to our family. My work at home might seem demeaning to some. Cleaning toilets, washing dishes, doing laundry is valued just as my husband's employment is valued.

    And by the way, I bought those "fancy" cushions at Wal-Mart. The cheapest ones they had, I might add, to replace the three year old ones that were torn to shreds. Meant for regular chairs, and not for a porch swing (out of my budget) but I made do. If you think I look down on the "lower classes", you might be surprised to see the rusty and peeling paint on my old van, the meager wardrobe in my closet. Please don't judge me for that, as well as the rest of my "perceived" lifestyle and values.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless you, Emily. This was a beautifully written post. You put your heart a soul into all of you writings and anyone who has followed you for any length of time knows how very much you adore your family and how proud you are of them. Please disregard the post from the anonymous responder, it is not worth your time. Some people will never be happy and feel the need to slap down those who are. Kudos to Jane, you have done a fabulous job as a wife and mother!

    I've been away and am just now catching up. I LOVED Gary's post, LOVED IT! If the world were filled with more compassionate and open-minded young people it would surly be a better place. Your children show an intellectual curiosity, what could be better than that?!?!?

    {{{hugs}}}
    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  5. To those who have posted some negative, demeaning comments on this blog: I am crushed. Emily is my mother. Although you (and you are only a small part of the many who are uplifted by this blog) may disagree with some things that are said, I ask you to consider how this may make my mother feel. She is saddened and disheartened. Lately she has expressed doubt if this is even something she'd ever do again. Please think before you post. If your purpose in posting is spiteful or demeaning, think if you really should do it. I am not defending my mother because she has no back bone. She's strong. But there comes a point when enough is enough, and a person just can't take it anymore. I am defending my mom because I know her personally, and many of you have never met her. Some have the perception that the internet is a free for all... that you can demean another person more easily because they can't see your face. That is not how it should be. If you wouldn't say things in person to someone, have the courtesy not to say it through a post. Words have power, to either hurt or to help, to lift or bring down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you, Jane!

      Your constant love, friendship, and support sustains me more than you'll ever know.

      Delete
    2. Anyone who writes a blog that invites comments should be aware that they may get comments that they don't find pleasing. As anyone is free to write a blog so the same can be said for anyone who wishes to write a comment.
      Someone who never receives a comment they don't like will be in the minority, that's just how it is.

      In my view anyone who can't take the good and bad of blogging shouldn't have a blog. Your content is put out there for the world to read, it's being blinkered to think that you will please everyone.
      I've occasionally read this blog over a few months and think you know that if you write a "pity me, I've had nasty comments" post that you'll get more sympathetic comments. The operative word being "more" as you obviously want (need?) more comments, hence your lamment that you have many views but few comments.
      Write a blog - get tough, or expect to be hurt.
      Linda

      Delete
  6. Emily, I found nothing offensive about your use of the word glamorous. Never did I think that you were saying that working as a janitor was a demeaning job. Sandy's inference just doesn't make sense to me. And she knew your were feeling vulnerable.
    I work as a nurse, and I will be the first to admit that the job isn't glamorous (emptying bedpans, emesis pans, changing diapers). Nope,nothing glamorous about that job at all. Do I feel the job is demeaning? No way.
    You might want to consider getting comment moderation on your blog.
    I have never met you but based on what I read you seem to be a very sweet, kind and genuine person. Please don't let what others say get you down. It's your blog, and you should feel free to write anything you wish.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this kindness, Judy. I appreciate you taking the time to be here and offering such generous, supporting words.

      xoxo

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Em-

    Did Ivana receive her Mission call??? I've been thinking of you, hang in there. One of the things I love most about your blog is the honesty and love you show sharing your everyday life. It makes me want to grab a cup of tea when I see one of your "Daybook" entries, crawl under a blanket, and savour every word.

    xo~

    Jacqueline (again)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know something? I wish you were my neighbor! I just love you.

      Yes, Ivana got her mission call this morning and came over to tell me. She's going to the San Jose California Mission- spanish speaking.She's happy and grateful, but trying to let the idea soak in. I know she will be a wonderful missionary wherever she goes. She has such a light and a beautiful spirit about her, and will be a such blessing to the people she'll learn to love in her service.

      I'm so amazed and happy that you would think to ask. When I tell her you inquired, she'll be touched.

      And thank you again, Jacqueline, for always showing so much love and support to me. You don't know how much that means.
      Hope you are having a happy day, friend. Take good care!

      Delete