Sunday, May 13, 2012

Qualified


Grandma Fay, Momo, Mama, Me holding baby Gary, Nana

I treasure this photograph. The only one I have of all of my mothers together. The one I see every day on my fridge, giving me the strength I need to do what I need to do in my own mothering. 



Each one came different
likes, wants, and needs
Each one came different
from the same seeds
But long before earthly
nurture began
Came growth in another
limitless span
Choices and challenges
faced there before
Led them to needing
love and care more
Who could provide
such love and such care
Through heart break and mending
none of it fair
Who could stand with them
when standing was tough
Who could give more
when she hadn't enough
For herself let alone
for these calling her name
Who is this person
is she one and the same
As the one who once held them
swaddling near
Cradled them, kissed them,
calling them dear
Yes she's the one
there is not another
Who paid such a price
to be known
as their
Mother

~Keith Crofts
Mother's Day
2012

2 comments:

  1. How appropriate for you to be celebrating your Anniversary and Mother's Day back to back.... So much of your identity is wrapped up in these activities, and THAT is something to celebrate! I hope you had a blessed day with your family. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! LOVE it! <3 Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete