Wednesday, May 9, 2012

shoe store epiphany


I had an epiphany today buying these new running shoes.

Jane and I were both in real need, since our Ragnar relay is right around the corner. (Yes, I'm so excited for her to join me again this year.) She's had her Asics since 9th grade and I've had mine for over a year. Weird for me, when I used to turn over a pair every four months, or so. I guess I didn't see the need. Or just kept putting it off. They served me well, though. Lots of miles on those sorry, worn out puppies. Led me along, plowing the way though snow and ice and rain and mud.

Anyway, back to my original train of thought for this post. See if you get where I'm coming from:

I'm seeing more and more that I can be okay, and even thrive with less. That I like less. Like... less is more.

 Maybe that should be my new mantra.

As I've trained my feet over the last couple of years to go even more "minimalist",  I see that I can do without the excess of cushy- bulky in my choice of running footwear. Letting these feet of mine do the work, not my shoes. Letting myself run the way my feet were created to run.  As close as you can get to running barefoot. And boy, do these shoes feel good. So light. Like a feather. Like gloves for my feet.

I'm seeing a trend in my appearance, too. Less and less hair as the years go by, not in the loosing it kind of way- thank goodness- but the shorter length kind. And this sense of freedom that's come with it, bringing a surprising sense of sass, which I'm liking. I don't need fancy hair, big hair, or long hair to feel comfortable, confident, and beautiful. (Although I so admire it in other women.)

Simplicity, as well, in my food preferences. A surprising change that's taken place in me of not desiring or needing the extras that many times used to mask the taste of the real food itself. The things I would always rely on to help make food taste comforting or appealing. Seeing that I can do without the butter and cheese and cream and sugar. Even eggs, milk, and meat. Now, that's a change from the old days. These simple foods- fruits, vegetables, beans, and grains- the pure, unadulterated tastes of these real foods, naked, are what my body and my tastes crave more and more as the days go by. 

I see myself finding more joy in each moment. Noticing, acknowledging, and gravitating towards the simple, the "unadorned", the real, the every day beauties of this life. 

Satisfied with what is.

Not really sure if all these insights have any kind of connection to each other, but for me, they kind of do. I like seeing the way these different, almost trivial aspects of my life seem to be meshing together in a cohesive, unified, greater whole.

Which is me.


9 comments:

  1. "bringing a surprising sense of sass, which I'm liking" ahh I love you!! :D you are the cutest girl! I can just imagine you saying this with a cute smile on your face, maybe your eyebrows go up and down a little. You make me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you, Ivana. Your words bring a smile to my face. xo

      Delete
  2. I got some new running shoes today too. I am liking the minimalist trend too. If I could, I would be barefoot out there. So freeing! Nice post and I love reading all your posts. It is good to get to know you better via the interwebs! I am so excited to be a part of your family and to get to know you even better. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy that you are not only joining our family, but also that I've found a new friend in you.

      Here's to new shoes! xo

      Delete
  3. Nice shoes! What kind are they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I think I'm in love. Just got back from a 6 mile run and although I feel like my calfs got a little more of a workout, I could tell that my form was better. Feet felt so light. I guess time will tell. I think these might have to be my all day, every day shoes.

    Merrill Dash Glove (Barefoot line).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely need more exercise!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my Merrell barefoots. My calfs felt different for a while, but now I'm used to them and love slipping them on for runs and just everyday running around.

    ReplyDelete