Wednesday, August 1, 2012

goodbye, sweet friend



she was my neighbor.

after time, I earned her trust.
a close friendship it wasn't,
but after so many tears and talks and hugs,
so much reaching out,
I think she finally understood I was there for her;
that I loved her.

but then she moved away,
and I'd see her once in a while at the store
where we'd make small talk
or those times I'd wave to her on the road
as she drove her three teenage kids
over to their dad's.

and now on Monday, I get the word
that she passed on
sometime over the weekend;
this woman my very same age
so unexpectedly, too early
with those three teenage kids
who all adored their mom
left behind
to grieve.

and my heart hurts
and I think about what friendship really means
and how you just never know
if the people in your life really
know how you feel about them;
if they know they are loved.

and how you just never know the pain
people carry in their hearts,
and how you just never know
how one day everything can change;
that these relationships,
this time we have is so very, very precious,
and sometimes taken for granted,
so fragile.


2 comments:

  1. It is painful to watch those we love depart this life and it is supposed to be that way.

    "Thou shalt live together in love, insomuch that thou shalt weep for the loss of them that die"
    http://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/42.45?lang=eng#44

    That verse has always given me comfort to know the pain of grief is part of the gift of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for your loss Emily- You are the perfect person to mourn with those who mourn..no greater calling right now! Thank you for being there for her and now for her children!

    ReplyDelete